Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230g Precision Rnfps

Urbanti

Fired 200 rds ball, 100 rds Precision 200g LSWC - no problem

Fired 100 rds 230 Precision RNFPs, got 4 premature slide locks.

Am using a COL of 1.210" b/c that's what I need to get the case to seat in the chamber.

Blaster is a SA milspec with stock 1 piece barrel.

Anybody else getting premature slide locks with this bullet?

thanks

Tim

Have seen this several times with the 230's and there fat nose.

Shave a little off your slide stop nub to clear the bullet nose, should be able to run as long as 1.25"

Sounds like you have a short throat also.

• 3 weeks later...
Have seen this several times with the 230's and there fat nose.

Shave a little off your slide stop nub to clear the bullet nose, should be able to run as long as 1.25"

Sounds like you have a short throat also.

I never even thought about the slide stop. Could this explain the straight groove running towards the flat point of the Precision 230 gr. RNFP??? I'm loading from 1.226-1.236 and having reliablility issues with the slide failing to lock the last 1/8th of an inch. My recipe is; VV310 4.0-4.3 gr, Pre 230gr Moly, Fed LPP, Starline brass shot out of a SA Loaded. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance. The SA will be used in lim. 10 class and NRA Action Pistol.

Racine

Take your top end off, put the slide stop back in, then insert a mag with one round in it and see where it is bumping the slide stop lever. Grind that away, and you will be fine. I would bet that your chamber is on the small size due to your shorter dimension. Hope this helps, DougC

Take your top end off, put the slide stop back in, then insert a mag with one round in it and see where it is bumping the slide stop lever. Grind that away, and you will be fine. I would bet that your chamber is on the small size due to your shorter dimension. Hope this helps, DougC

Thanks for your timely suggestions. I will try your method and report back.

Racine

This was a common mod done by bowling pin shooters. The old Speer 200 gr JHP (no longer in production) had a wide hollowpoint, and the bullet ogive would drag on the slide stop. If you look you'll see rub marks, lead or copper on the slide stop. File and stone where the rub marks are.

As for loading short to ensure proper chambering, get a gunsmith to use a chambering reamer on your barrel. It might be a bit short, rough or have a steep leade. Again, common in the old days, not so often seen today.