Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1100 5.56 in one pass with trim?

mioduz

I am considering purchasing either an RL1100 or Mark 7 Evo

(automation still up for debate)

I am wanting to reload bulk 5.56 (assumed mostly crimped military brass)

I plan on running a press mounted trimmer

I am aware with the trimmer options available on market now the 1050/1100 doesnt have enough real estate to make complete 5.56 in one trip

The mark 7 claim to fame (or one of them) is that their "10" station press would allow you to put a trimmer in and still make 5.56 in one trip

IF you had a trimmer that only took up 1 position in the 1050/1100, could you make 5.56 in one trip?  or is it still just not possible.  

On 5/27/2020 at 7:47 AM, mioduz said:

I am considering purchasing either an RL1100 or Mark 7 Evo

(automation still up for debate)

I am wanting to reload bulk 5.56 (assumed mostly crimped military brass)

I plan on running a press mounted trimmer

I am aware with the trimmer options available on market now the 1050/1100 doesnt have enough real estate to make complete 5.56 in one trip

The mark 7 claim to fame (or one of them) is that their "10" station press would allow you to put a trimmer in and still make 5.56 in one trip

IF you had a trimmer that only took up 1 position in the 1050/1100, could you make 5.56 in one trip?  or is it still just not possible.  

Does the Mark 7 have its own trimmer?

Or do they use a Dillon RT1500 trimmer?

If using the RT1500 trimmer, there is still a burr on the case mouth...right?

It used to be here on this forum years ago (I"ve been here since 2005)  that 650 owners reloading .223 would tumble their brass between the first and second toolhead.

That served two purposes.  One, it got rid of any case lube.  And two, it knocked off any burrs.

The Lyman M die in the #1 slot in the second toolhead also helped get rid any burrs.

(Of course, the Lyman M die can put a slight flare on the case mouth which aids in getting bullets to start straight or vertically into the seating die...which may be more of a concern for you if you have a bullet feeder. )

Anywhhoooo...my point being is if you don't care about a burr, then yeah, get the Mark 7 and run all your brass through in one pass.

I don't know if it is a "thing" any more, but it used to be that left over lube on the finished rounds was bad ju ju or worrisome.

You can tumble your loaded rounds to get the lube off, but some people used to get geek'ed out about that too.

Oh well...pick the lesser of two evils... I suppose.

Edited by Chills1994

They do sell a Bosch router converted into a trimmer.  But it takes up the same 3 spaces that the Dillon does.  

Lyman/mark 7 is working on a single station trimmer.  But no real ETA at this time.  I am working on making one myself.  wondering if it can be done in a single station if that helps the odds of making 5.56 in one pass.

5 hours ago, mioduz said:

They do sell a Bosch router converted into a trimmer.  But it takes up the same 3 spaces that the Dillon does.  

Lyman/mark 7 is working on a single station trimmer.  But no real ETA at this time.  I am working on making one myself.  wondering if it can be done in a single station if that helps the odds of making 5.56 in one pass.

In theory...RCBS does sell X sizer dies in .223.

So after sizing and trimming all your .223 (5.56mm) brass down to 1.74" (the X die instructions call to trim your brass 20 thousandths under max case length), on the subsequent reloadings, if you have the X die mandrel screwed down, you can skip the trimming step.  Consequently, you can pretty much treat your bottlenecked .223 cases like straight walled semi-auto cases.  Just one trip through the reloading press.

In theory..

Here's the kicker though...

You have to be able to keep all your X-die'ed and 1.74" trimmed brass separate.

You also have to be able to get all your X-died and trimmed 1.74" brass back.

Double Alpha was or is making an automated brass stripe-r that would have been ideal for this, but I think it is only big enough to accomodate pistol ammo.

20 minutes ago, Chills1994 said:

In theory...RCBS does sell X sizer dies in .223.

So after sizing and trimming all your .223 (5.56mm) brass down to 1.74" (the X die instructions call to trim your brass 20 thousandths under max case length), on the subsequent reloadings, if you have the X die mandrel screwed down, you can skip the trimming step.  Consequently, you can pretty much treat your bottlenecked .223 cases like straight walled semi-auto cases.  Just one trip through the reloading press.

In theory..

Here's the kicker though...

You have to be able to keep all your X-die'ed and 1.74" trimmed brass separate.

You also have to be able to get all your X-died and trimmed 1.74" brass back.

Double Alpha was or is making an automated brass stripe-r that would have been ideal for this, but I think it is only big enough to accomodate pistol ammo.

Like you said....thats all good in theory.   Not practice though.  Im not interested in trying to organize that much chaos

Edited by mioduz

1 hour ago, mioduz said:

Like you said....thats all good in theory.   Not practice though.  Im not interested in trying to organize that much chaos

Ditto!

That is why I would rather just run brass through in batches...taking a total of 2 trips through my 650.

For now anyway,  I do try to keep say the LC 19 brass separate from the LC 16 brass all separate from the Hornady brass (and of course watch the Lapua brass like a hawk).

It would be a different story if I started out with 5,000 pieces of Winchester brass.

Then it would have received the X die and 1.74" trim riggt from the git-go.

Edited by Chills1994