Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark7 Primer Rocker getting stuck

yeah remove the primer stack and slide, check to see if you have some schmoo in there. I'd also check to see if the top of the punch has a bur on it that's catching on the primer slide or something. Lastly, lube the rocker up, including the spring on the punch. You need to lube behind the rocker especially. 

When i bought my Evo, I had this problem. I bought a stripped down Evo and a stacked primer system separate. When I installed it, I forgot a bolt (underneath). The slight tilt in that system would create friction. 

Issue resolved, re lubed the rocker and spring...  Also, the shell plate was completely lose too, I noticed why too much play and shell plate flex.  Upon checking the lock ring it was completely out of specs. By having the shell plate lose the ammo I was makining was not having consistent OAL, amongst other issues.  Once I was able to securely tighten the lock ring, most if not all the issues were resolved...

Little growing pains I guess... but it came without the shell plate being properly fitted from Mark7 directly so that's odd!  

Edited by chgofirefighter

One should always confirm things are in fact in spec. The nut can also work it's way loose during operation, which is one reason I put two index marks on the nut and the bushing it screws onto, so I can always tighten it to the same level and notice if it moves

• 2 weeks later...

My primer punch would sometimes stick up and it was the spring coils locking together.   New spring fixed it. Keep it lubed. 

My shellplate would sometimes loosen up also Despite those set screws. In fact lots of screws and bolts can loosen up over time. Really should a formal ‘pre-flight’ checklist before each session on where to lube, tighten etc.   

I now use a feeler gauge to check the space between the bottom of shellplate and top of the deck, before each session.   0.008-0.010” seems to be the sweet spot. To much and, as u say, there is too much play leading to OAL variations and sometimes high primers. Back up dies help reduce that risk also and I use them at swage and at priming and at the primer orientation station.

using index marks on the big shellplate nut is a great way to know if it's walking loose. I had to tighten up mine the other day when I had it running at 3000 RPH. first time I've had it come loose while loading.