Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para 1445 Mags W/dp Base Pads

Dan0

I have searched and searched for help on the Para 1445 Mag issues I've encountered. If there is already a thead PLEASE direct me to it.

I have several Original Para 1445 factory nickel plated mags is use for USPSA. I use the Dawson Base pads on four of the mags.

I have difficulty loading them to 17 rounds, that is, it’s difficult to force the 17th round into the mag and I am only able to get 17 rounds into some of the mags with the DP base pad, and 16 in others with the DP base Pad. Is there a trick to increasing the round capacity to 18 in the 1445 mags.

I have read some people cut half of the coil at the top spring and half of the coil on the bottom of the spring, to get extra rounds into the mags, BUT all these refer to the 1640 mags. I have just ordered 5 ISMI Para mag springs from Bownells, but I sure as heck don’t want to start cutting on them without advise. What is your recommendation????

Dan0

Couple of things, the followers, brand of springs, and length of the tube.

Para change all those things over the years. What I use is the new followers, new para springs, then my old long tubes will hold 17. You need a thumb buster to get them in.

I have not used the Dawson base pads.

Indeed, give us some more details. Para mags have changed over the years. I have competed for many y with the 14-45 loaded with 18 rds. Both Dawson and Grams pads worked equally well. The most common capacity problem I saw was that the follower somehow did not manage to dive inside the pad (which it must do to load 18). Ammunition OAL can do that (check that you are not over length). I found it helpful to bevel the bottom of the mag, i.e. round off sharp edges. Though usually, if that's not done, *feeding* with the full mags is the problem, not loading them to 18. Some people use too long springs (12 coils is enough). I also always worked w/o plastic the inserts supplied by some base pad manufacturers. And the followers themselves are a big issue (best I found were Arredondo's...)

Like I said I not familiar with Dawson pads. When Para changed there basepads design they had to make the tubes a little longer, about a 1/16". Old tubes with new plus 1 base pad would not lock in.

Now I'm talking old para, my are from year two of the wide body production, right after they fixed the cracking frame problems.

Para made at least three different followers also. On my latest rebuilds I ordered every kind of spring, and followers that brownells had.

What worked the best for me was the new design factory followers, and the factory springs. The wolf, and ismi springs just didn't function as well. Nor did the arrendondo followers.

I use factory ammo. Runs all the time, I don't clean the gun or the mags just wipe down with oily rag until next match. Once in a while I take a M16 toothbrush to breach face and extractor.

I even mix ammo brands in a mag, wolf, winchester, pmc. They all feed just fine.

So maybe your para isn't that old, wish I wasn't as old either.

Look in archive of springs session, there was lots of discussion some time back about this.

Thanks guys for your responses.

I bought the 1445 LTD in January this year, new, and ordered extra mags with it. The pistol and mags are about 10 months old, and all the mags are nickel plated (or stainless) labeled with the LEO/Military stamp. All have the Para original follower and springs.

I discovered early about the OAL issue, and have corrected the seating depth on my Dillon 650. I have been out of USPSA for several years, and recently started back. I REALLY like my Para.

I’m not sure which followers I have other than they are stock Para followers that came with the mags. I don’t use anything between the DP Base pad and the spring (no plastic inserts).

I did buy the thumb saver from bownells to help get the extra round in the mag, but found it little to NO help.

Detlef, help me understand “Beveling the bottom of the mag,” and the effects on the spring and feeding. Also, when beveling the bottom of the mag, what specifically are you using i.e. Dremel with polishing wheel, etc.????

If Para extended the mags 1/16” where am I measuring from? Front top, rear top, etc.???

As I said, the archives address the 1640 mags, but I found little to nothing on the 1445 mags.

Again, Thanks for your help.

Dan0

Edited by Dan0

• 3 weeks later...

You guys lost me talking about loading 17 and 18 rounds in a P14.45

The hi cap mag holds 14, add Dawson +2 basepads, and that is 16 rounds according to my remedial math (unless you count one in the pipe).

My Para came with 2 hi cap mags, one of which refused to hold more than 13 rounds.

I replaced the follower and spring but the problem persists and I have yet to discover why.

I ordered 3 additional mags from Dawson complete with DP basepads and a DP Ice magwell.

Mag capacity is not really and issued for me, as I am getting the gun ready for lim10 competition.

I prefer a 45 in that division and I think the combination of fat frame, tapered mag, and large magwell is easier to speed load than my single stack.

A P14 loaded with 17 rounds feels pretty heavy to me.

I wonder how a gun that sheds 3/4 of a pound during a course of fire then gains it back when reloaded affects grip and bullet placement.

T

no, we're really talking 18 rds in the mag. Easily done with Dawson or Grams pads.

I was wondering the same thing about weight and weight distribution change during

a course, but I would never have known from how the gun shoots whether

it was holding an empty or full mag. That is not where the attention belongs,

I guess, so that's not where it goes...

You guys lost me talking about loading 17 and 18 rounds in a P14.45

The hi cap mag holds 14, add Dawson +2 basepads, and that is 16 rounds according to my remedial math (unless you count one in the pipe).

My Para came with 2 hi cap mags, one of which refused to hold more than 13 rounds.

I replaced the follower and spring but the problem persists and I have yet to discover why.

I ordered 3 additional mags from Dawson complete with DP basepads and a DP Ice magwell.

Mag capacity is not really and issued for me, as I am getting the gun ready for lim10 competition.

I prefer a 45 in that division and I think the combination of fat frame, tapered mag, and large magwell is easier to speed load than my single stack.

A P14 loaded with 17 rounds feels pretty heavy to me.

I wonder how a gun that sheds 3/4 of a pound during a course of fire then gains it back when reloaded affects grip and bullet placement.

T

• 1 month later...

Im running a 1445 for my Limited set-up and have no problem with squeezing in 17 rounds to my DP basepads. I heard about being able to put in 18 rounds so im searching online right now to replace to more reliable magsprings and followers. Should i buy ISMI springs or Arredondo. I think im pretty much decided on Arredondo followers. I think you have to cut a link off the spring to get in round number 18. Any help would be appreciated.

P14 and P16 mags are pretty much set up the same. Same springs, followers, basepads.

Lip dimension is not critical for the Para, just try to get the rounds to be level with the top edge of the lip. Allowing much of a nose up attitude will cause problems.

The old shorter P14 mags that I have, have three holes toward the back of the left side. Mine mike about 4.590-4.600 long at the back. My newer prebans mike 4.668-4.680.

In the P14 mag, about round 16-17 is when the follower is getting down into the hollow basepad. If the follower hangs up at the transition, you won't get the extra rounds. It is also possible for the follower to get stuck coming back up.

I use a file or sandpaper to break the sharp edge on the bottom of the follower, front and back. It is thin there. Don't go nuts. You can also break the corner at the top of the back end. Don't change the shape! Don't do anything to the sides. Some mags like a follower that has had the front and back sanded to slightly shorten the front to back length.

Don't alter more than one mag until you have totally tested it in your gun with your ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Para1445,

After hearing/reading it could be done, I've been trying to shove 18 rounds in my 1445 mags for about seven months (I’m using the DP +2 Base Pad). I tried the Arredondo followers WITHOUT 18 round results.

I e-mailed Dawson asking what the trick is and they responded by referring me to Alan Tillman (an Exceptional gunsmith in Austin, TX). Alan told me to cut the bottom of the spring, one coil at a time and the 18 rounds issue MAY be done. If not I’m only out one spring. As Detlef has told me, once you get 18 rounds into the mag, the issue NOW becomes insuring the mag is RELABLE for the 1445.

Dan0

• 3 weeks later...

For what is is worth, I shot the P-1445 for several years, my mags get 17 or 18 rounds and all run reliably. I use Para tubes with either dawson or grams followers, ISMI springs cut to length and dawson pads.

All the tubes hold 17 no prob however I can force 18 in but it is a bitch getting the mags to reload.

Just my 2cents,

• 4 months later...

I've been shooting a Para 14-45 Limited for several years and have been able to get 18 rnds in the tube with no problem using: Para Tubes, factory springs, Para Follower or Arredondo Follower, and Dawson Pads. The only tubes that I can not get 18 rnds in are the nickel ones. I have several nickel tubes and the most I can get in them with any combo of spring/follower/pad is 17. Every factory blue tube that I have bought or used will hold 18 with the Dawson Pads.