Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Special, Berry 158 round nose issue

jsg

I have reloaded thousands of 38 special and 38 short colt. In the past I have used BBI, Xtreme, or Ranier for all my loads. Recently I bought 1500 Berry 158 grain round nose for my 38 needs.

I loaded 500 38 short colt and they seemed to function great and I had no issues seating or crimping. All my 38 short colt brass is Starline.

I am now reloading 1000 mixed brass 38 Special with this bullet. I have decided on 3.5 grains of WST, Fed SPP, and an OAL of 1.5". I am crimping .377 to .379 depending on the brand of brass. The issue I am having is the bullet will push down into the case if I press them on the bench (when testing crimp) in about 4 of the first 30 I have loaded. They are varied brands of brass (Winchester, Rem, Blazer). This degree of crimp has worked fine for a few thousand 158 grain Xtreme bullets very recently (but they did have a cannelure, the Berry bullets do not).

Any thoughts? I am hesitant to crimp much tighter since over crimping a plated bullet causes all kinds of problems.
Has anyone loaded these Berrys with success in the past?

Only time I ever had issues with bullet setback (in a pistol caliber) was with a bad die that didn't resize brass appropriately.  Replaced the sizing die and I had neck tension to spare.

But to be sure we should cover the basics.

- did you adjust the sizing die all the way down to the shell holder?

- how much are you expanding the case mouth?

- have you measured the OD of the bullets to make sure they aren't .355 instead of .357?

When I first started loading it was all .38 Spl. on a single stage,  thousands of round a year.

I soon learned the the culprit in neck tension was case brand. Military and most Federal was the thickest and tightest.  Remingtons at the time were so thin that a bullet would almost fall in after sizing.

Crimp plays a small role in my opinion.

Case wall thickness and diameter of expander ball are the likely culprits. Sorting by headstamp is my solution. I also quit using Remington brass except for mid range wadcutter target loads. 

Have you shot some to see if you’re actually getting recoil induced bullet pull?

What type of Dies are being used?   I never had set back with my Dillon Square Deal.   I crimp, so the top 1/16" of brass is shiny.   Over the past 30 years, I loaded more than I want to admit without this issue.

OK, I think I have this licked but I made a few changes all at once so I cannot say exactly what solved the issue.

1) I replaced the RCBS crimp die with a Hornady crimp die I use for 38 Short Colt
2) I added the sizing die to station one (I normally store all my brass clean and sized).
3) I closed the crimp down to 76

After making the changes listed above, I have loaded 150 rounds and checked every one. None had a crimp issue. Oddly none of these changes were ever required for Xtreme, Ranier, or BBI bullets. Go figure...

Thank you for all your input.