Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Competition Pro

Harpo

Has anyone seen the new "American Competition Pro" yet?
https://ruger.com/products/rugerAmericanPistol/specSheets/8672.html

Not looking to change to one, but I just saw it on their site and figured I'd mention it - looks to check most of the major boxes for competition in CO or production: lightened slide, optic plate, and fiber.
About as ugly as anything I've ever seen, but it's cool that they seem to be branching out.

Barrel has a hole on top , Id have to see one shot with an optic to see if it would be a problem like the Sigs.
Weight is decent,  they dont mention guide rod, but assuming you could add some tungsten here or there and get it closer to 40 oz.
Probably not alot of aftermarket support, probably come down to how good the trigger is

5 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Barrel has a hole on top , Id have to see one shot with an optic to see if it would be a problem like the Sigs.
Weight is decent,  they dont mention guide rod, but assuming you could add some tungsten here or there and get it closer to 40 oz.
Probably not alot of aftermarket support, probably come down to how good the trigger is

Barrel or slide?

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2020 at 1:43 PM, Tampa-XD45 said:

Barrel or slide?

The hole is at the top rear of the barrel so it can serve as a loaded chamber indicator. 

There are also holes along the upper forward sides of the slide but they are just for looks and a bit of weight reduction.  There's no barrel porting.

I'm very curious about the trigger on these.  Did Ruger actually do a little tuning to get the gun ready for competition or is it just a typical "meh" Ruger trigger?

By the way, Ruger really dropped the ball when it came to naming this pistol.  "American pistol" is about as interesting and distinctive as "American cheese".  Couldn't they have come up with something a little snappier for the match gun variant?