Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Schuemann Hybrid

gixxerflier

no it will not. my wife's first gun i built her had a hybrid barrel in it and we ran 125's in it from the start and it had at least 150,000 rounds on it and was still consistent and accurate. some powders may be more damaging to the hybrid barrels than anything else. check the schuemann site for his powder recommendations.

Edited by BEDELLCUSTOM

In fact - given the same powder choice, same power factor for both loads, and same jacket material, 115s should wear the bore more regardless of barrel design. You'll have higher temperatures and pressures, and greater friction from the 115s - all of which accelerate bore wear, especially in the first inch or so of rifling.

As Dan says, powder choice apparently has a lot to do with it - those that have a high flame temp are going to be worse on the barrel than those with a lower flame temp - perhaps dramatically so, in some cases. I don't see anything on Schuemann's site discussing powder choice - but I might've missed it....

I read some time ago that HS-7 was particularly harsh as it burned becoming like aluminum oxide and scowering the bore to the point the rifling was gone in places.

As I remember the article went on the say that inspite of this the gun still shot well out to 25 yards.

I think it was by Layne Simpson.

on the instruction sheet that comes with the schuemann barrels it says on #11-Barrel Wear "barrel life when shooting light jacketed bullets at high velocity is only 1/5 - 1/10 the life obtainable when shooting heavy lead bullets at moderate velocity. with light jacketed bullets and hot loads, the life of the barrel may only be 5000 - 10,000 rounds. (please note that this is true of all barrels. our barrels tend to last longer than most others due to the superior quality and hardness of our barrel steel.)

#9 powder choice(on the instruction sheet)

caliber 0.355" hybrid,hybricomp,tribrid and externally compensated barrels loaded to make major should use the densest slowest burning powder for maximum compensator performance and lowest peak pressure. the only powders which satisfy these requirements are winchester 571, hodgdon hs-7, and accurate 7. all other commonly used powders(540,3n37,n350,4756,wap, etc.) provide less compensator performance,raise peak pressures unnecessarily, and cause accelerated barrel wear.

there you have it, right from the schuemann barrel instruction sheet, hope it helps. :D

Just goes to show that no one really knows... :) I put 25K through my Viper before I sold it - N350 and 125s exclusively. Absolutely no signs of barrel wear to the naked eye....

J.L. Hardy has 2 good posts from Jan of 2004 here: Powder Choices

I agree with it too, my favorite powders are 3n38 and SP2. They work the comp with less pressure [and lower temperatures] than other powders. The gasses expand very nicely without a white-hot flame. Not sure if Will has forgotten 3n38 in the meantime or if the instruction sheet was written before his talk with J.L.

VihtaVuori used to list loads that made Major [in 38super] with both 3n38 and N105 and when I chrono'd those loads they were either Major or very close to it. Vectan still lists their SP2 load that makes Major. These are under SAAMI max pressures.

Edited by eric nielsen

Thanks to all!

We shot with a guy at the NC sectional match last weekend who used 3n38 and man was it LOUD! Under the chrono canopy it was unbearable.

I'm loading 9 gn N-350 in my hybrid and 8.3 in regular comp gun with 125 gn Zero jhp. Making 167.5 pf.

I know this is a queston for the reloading forum, but would you guys suggest a powder change for longevity? I'm obviously new to open and seriously overwhelmed!

Cheers, A.

I got a hybrid 38 supercomp myself in April, and have played with a lot of the powders out there. I agree 3n38 can be a bit much, but really liked how it felt. One powder that felt similar to me in my gun with the 125s was IMR 4756. Plus it is cheaper and more available. But it is pretty bulky and fills the case almost to the brim. The powder I finally decided on was IMR 7625. I found that for me, I shot better scores, and could call the shot more consistantly. I noticed a slight downward impulse at the beginning of the recoil with 3n38, as well as more circular movement in the dot. With 7625 and 4756 the dot tracked more vertically. To me, 4756 just didn't feel right, and was a little more difficult to load than 7625, and I used less 7625 to make the same power factor.

Also, with any of these three powders you will see very small standard deviations of velocity, and are also pretty clean. I don't know about you, but I have heard of a number of guns that ran pretty reasonable volumes of all of these powders with 115, 121, and 125 grain bullets with pretty reasonable wear so I stopped worrying about it, picked a load, and started shooting.

when a barrel costs as much as 12 pounds of viht powders, i figure the barrel is an expendable item.

bullets, powder, primers, barrel, to a lesser extent, frame and slide.

but if a barrel only lasts 5-10k rounds, there is a problem.

area 4 director kenneth hicks uses IMR 4756 in his dawson open gun.

at about 150K rounds its starting to get the comp fireball every other round..

he admits that the gun needs a new barrel and its taking more powder to make major with it....but hasnt rebarrelled since the gun will still shoot 2 inches at 25 yards..

So if IMR 4756 is hard on barrels, what isnt? i hope my gun still shoots 2 inches at 25 yards after 150,000 rounds.

I cant get the VIHT powders here, so i shoot IMR now...4756 and 7625.

i think there is some connection between single based powders and the softness of the recoil

harmon

• 4 weeks later...

I will always defend the "honor" of the Schuemann barrels. Hybrid or otherwise. Wil's watchful, personal "eye" to detail speaks volumes.

Hybrid barrels per se, are not just Schuemann's domain, as there are "hybrid" designed/modified by every single gunsmith out there. Schuemann's hybrids, though, are the only ones with the integral "top rib" and "jet-cone" shaped ports from factory. They have proved themselves over and over again with more praises than lamentations.

They will continue to stay as one of my top choices.