Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken firing pin springs?

Hey all,

So in the past year I've had this happen to me on two occasions, luckily not at any major matches but it still is a good way to blow a stage at a local match.

I'm running a stage and suddenly "click", rip charge handle back thinking it's a misfire "click" again...At first I thought my firing pin itself was broken however after I pulled the bolt carrier apart I found that the firing pin spring itself was getting beat so much that the legs of the spring were getting crushed/peened and breaking off therefore the broken pieces would move around in the channel, cause the firing pin to stick and not fire. Once the firing pin and spring were removed, I found the small bits of metal sitting on the bench. 

I'm running a JP bolt (JPBC-9SP) and a CMC PCC trigger with an ICRW firing pin, this has also happened with my JP firing pin. I know now to keep extra springs in my range bag and luckily they're cheap as hell.

Do you think this is a hammer spring issue putting too much force on the firing pin/spring or is this just a semi-regular wear item?

50 minutes ago, AHI said:

How often is this happening?

I change these every 2000 ish rounds because of wear. 

I’d estimate roughly 3500 rounds between the first time a spring broke in March of 2019 and the second spring breaking last week.

2 hours ago, 4mike said:

try 1911 FP spring cut at 0,80 to 0,82"
dont know what life time is normal but I run this spring up 10k rnds with hiperfire trigger

Wow, good to know, thanks for sharing! Just broke my first PCC FP spring and have matches this coming weekend.