Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Case Feed Jam & Powder Spill, 38 Super

I have one of the first 650's made. Learned to live with the minor quirks.(sure is fast compaired to my 550!). # 1. Little tip... Every now and then I will "MISS" a 9mm/or/ 40 S&W case mixed in with my .38S brass. The case feeder will TRY? to feed this with my .38 Super brass but It "jams" the works up and normally the case feeder shut off switch leaves one shell stuck at the top of the feed "tube", making the feed tube near impossible to remove. ... I keep a .40 cal. bore brush handy... just insert the brush from the TOP of the case feeder, retrieve the top case with the bore brush and you are able to remove the feed tube .(SHUT off the case feeder) and fix the problem. #2. This works for me... noticed LOTS of powder spillage with some powders that tend to fill the case, tried the "CUT" the spring thing.. ended up using just a TAD of case lube on my shells.... I know,I know, "carbide dies NO LUBE required????. LOTS LESS SPILLAGE #3. TRY the LEE under-sized die in your 1st. station (EGW) If you have ANY sizing problems they are gone. Use this information at your own risk. mike g

I think it was Shred who posted about shortening the casefeeder drop tube by about .25, that works great. I keep a small screwdriver handy, when it jams, just lift up the top case with the screwdriver, pull the tube out and lift up slightly and the stacked cases come right out. Takes longer to type it than to do it.

Agree on the lube and U die.

I think it was Shred who posted about shortening the casefeeder drop tube by about .25, that works great.  I keep a small screwdriver handy, when it jams, just lift up the top case with the screwdriver, pull the tube out and lift up slightly and the stacked cases come right out.  Takes longer to type it than to do it.

Agree on the lube and U die.

My way was even lazier-- I move the casefeeder up the post about 1/4", so there's a little gap before the drop tube that I can stick the aforementioned small screwdriver in to lift up the offending case. I like the brush idea too.