Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Cz For Uspsa Production?

ErikW

I've got a certificate for a CZ-75B and I understand CZ USA will apply it to a more expensive model. Which of their guns is the hot ticket for USPSA Production? I've done some searching and reading but the choice isn't clear.

Does the -75B require a modification to drop free its magazines? Is the mod USPSA legal?

Can I shjt-can the -85 Combat's adjustable rear sight and install a fixed target rear sight?

Does Angus' fixed target rear sight require a taller front?

Is the -75SP01 really available? Are its magazines available or expensive? (Is it legal to use -75B magazines with it?) Is their a USPSA legal holster available for it? Is the Tactical (decocker) model more or less desirable?

Which gun has the best potential for the best trigger?

I am not Matt or Angus, but maybe I can get a few things out of the way before they take time to state the Team CZ-USA positions:

Q.Which of their guns is the hot ticket for USPSA Production?

-4 choices for USPSA Production:

-85 Combat (only comes in 9mm)

-SP-01 (both frame and decocker models)

-85 Cobat II (really an SP-01 w/ 1" shorter dust cover)

-the .40 cal 75B (only way to shoot .40 in Production w/a competitive CZ)

Q. Does the -75B require a modification to drop free its magazines?

-Yes. Takes about 5 min. to straighten out & re-install the "mag break"

Q. Is the mod USPSA legal?

-Yes. It is internal.

Q.Can I shjt-can the -85 Combat's adjustable rear sight and install a fixed target rear sight?

Yes. The sight is a factory option, as is the hammer Angus sells.

Q. Does Angus' fixed target rear sight require a taller front?

-Yes. It comes as a set w/ correct front sight.

Q. Is the -75SP01 really available?

-Yes. Do a search on "Impact Guns SP-01" THeir import numbers are WRONG. More SP-01 are on the way to Angus this month or next in addition to Impact guns.

Q. Are its magazines available or expensive?

-dunno.

Q. (Is it legal to use -75B magazines with it?)

-dunno.

Q. Is their a USPSA legal holster available for it?

-yes. look over on www.czforum.com Kydex I believe.

Q. Is the Tactical (decocker) model more or less desirable?

- I personally prefer the frame safety plus you can use it in ESP.

Q. Which gun has the best potential for the best trigger?

-Oy! Dunno. I know that only the 85 Combat has an overtravel screw; the SP-01 is a production gun that lacks this target/competition feature. I have not tried the competition DA/SA hammer that CZ offers as a factory option on their guns; I would imagine Matt or Angus could do an absolute TOP NOTCH job w/ one of those.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

Erik..

not Matt or Angus either..but I can fill in a few more questions..

SP01 mags ..some are available..I got a couple extra from Angus..they were about $40 each..

in USPSA you can use the 75/85 mags..not in IPSC

75/85 mags are about $18 to $20 each.

Am told the decocker model is a little more complicated to take completely apart. Matt says he will do trigger/action on them.

My SP01 from Angus has a great trigger, my 75b from Matt..has a great trigger.

Bladetech makes a DOH holster for the SP01 that is USPSA legal..I was also able to modify a Comptac holster to fit the SP01.

Not sure on which has the potential for best trigger..both my examples were great.

Ooops, meant to reply to this earlier.....Douglas and Stuart have most of the bases covered, but here goes.

As to the hot ticket, it depends. If you like light guns, either a 75B or 85 Combat will do nicely. If you like heavy guns, then the SP-01 might be for you.

Yes the 75B requires bending the mag brake to have mags drop free, but it is easy and takes all of 5 minutes. It is legal since its not an external mod.

Yes you can toss the 85 Combat's adjustable sight. Thats what I do and I add CZ-USA Comp sights.

The CZ-USA rear sight doesn't always require a taller sight, but you do want to go ahead and get the matching front sight. You can always file it down to get POA/POI where you want it.

More SP-01's are coming, they ought to be here any day now. Angus has the scoop on those. The 18/19 rd mags for them I think are selling for around $50/each, but you can legally use the factory or Mec-Gar 16rd 75B mags in them in USPSA Production.

I think the Blade-Tech Dropped and Offset may be the only holster for the SP-01 at the moment, thats what I have and it works wonderfully.

The Tactical model is the decocker model, some people prefer it, some people prefer the thumb safety model. If you just have to ride a safety, don't get the decocker. If you don't like dropping the hammer with your thumb at LAMR, then get the decocker. One advantage the decocker has is the DA pull is shorter when decocked at the start.

Best potential as far as trigger goes, I think its about even. I recently did a decocker wth the new CZ-USA Comp hammer, and it is about as good as I can do on a thumb safety gun, so I don't think thats an issue any more.

I've got a certificate for a CZ-75B and I understand CZ USA will apply it to a more expensive model. Which of their guns is the hot ticket for USPSA Production? I've done some searching and reading but the choice isn't clear.

Does the -75B require a modification to drop free its magazines? Is the mod USPSA legal?

Can I shjt-can the -85 Combat's adjustable rear sight and install a fixed target rear sight?

Does Angus' fixed target rear sight require a taller front?

Is the -75SP01 really available? Are its magazines available or expensive? (Is it legal to use -75B magazines with it?) Is their a USPSA legal holster available for it? Is the Tactical (decocker) model more or less desirable?

Which gun has the best potential for the best trigger?

Erik

Matt had 8 of his pistols laid out at the IDPA Nationals. They ALL felt great. No lie. Don't let the trigger sway you from one gun to the next. Even the DA/SA gun with it's first DA pull felt awsome. I think you can shoot a 50 yard target accuratly with it. Just have Matt do a trigger job for you.

May I tag on to this thread with a query about the extended mag release available on the Combat 85?

I am surmising that this would be an illegal addition (external modification) to a 75B model, correct?

How much difference does the extended mag release make, say compared to a Glock standard/ extended magazine release?

And, would the addition of slimmer grips on the 75B alleviate the need for the extended magrelease?

Summary: I don't want to buy an 85 combat just for the extended mag release.

My interpretation is that it would be legal..

there is a NROI writing..that states if a part is available on a legal gun, it is legal on another legal gun..

example being the ext mag release and the ext. slide lock on the G34 are legal to install on a G17.

so the 85 combat release should be legal on a 75b.

the mag release on the 85 combat has a flat checkered surface where the 75b standard release has a slight slope to it..

the release on the SP01 is a little longer and wider.

Edited by eerw

Assuming that the profile of the mag release is the same. One of the champions I had cam with an enlrged release that would not fit into the SP01 becasue that has the ambi style release. bummer. Maybe we will have some bigger magazine releases in future guns

Will any of these wonderful hi-cap mags fit my Witness .40? Looks like this except it holds 12 instead of 15:

http://www.eaacorp.com/handguns-witness-steel-Full-EI.html

It's a full-size steel gun, probably five or six years old at least. Baseplates on the stock 12-round mags fit flush with the bottom of the grip.

Haven't had to worry about it in the past, because I've been letting a friend shoot it in matches. I haven't yet mastered the trigger, but he does okay with it. And it's never gakked on him yet.

Thanks for the replies on the extended magazine release gentlemen.

I am thinking that if I am going to do a trigger job and scrap the stock sights for the "AH Approved" sights anyway, I might as well start with the 75B(a great set of sights is just all the difference, isn't it?).

Feel free to clarify my "C" class shooter thinking with your experiences, please.