Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tight Kkm Open Barrels

ctgun

I was wondering if anyone else that has a KKM barrel and comp combo for 9Major

has had the problem of the chamber being too tight and if so what you did about it. I am thinking of having the chamber reamed out a little bit so that it will chamber easier or is there a sizing die out there that will resize the brass down so that it will fit into the chamber. I am using Dillon dies now and have never had problems when shooting 9minor in my Sig 226.

Edited by ctgun

Since you posted in the Glock Forum I will assume this is a glock the kkm bbl is in. I will also assume that the brass you are reloading is once fired glock brass.

There is a die available from EGW (~22.00) that is .001 inch undersized. It is most often used to size brass that has been fired in a glock. The glock bbl is not fully supported and the brass from such usually has a bulge in the 6:00 o-clock position. This brings the brass back into spec

If your reloaded ammo checks in a chamber guage but not your bbl you might have an issue. You can always use some cerrosafe and cast your kkm chamber then check specs.

I suspect is is glocked brass.

Steven

Standles sorry I should have been more specific. The gun is an open G17 and the KKM barrel comp combo is the one that KKM makes for 9Major. This particular barrel is fully supported. Also you are correct I am using once fired brass but it has beem mostly fired out of a Sig 226. The only once fired brass that seems to fit in the G17 is the brass that I have already fired in it once before. The only thing is that since this is 9Major I really don't want to use that brass more than once or twice for a 9Major load. I will try the cerrosafe and see if the chamber is undersized. If it isn't then I will give that EGW die a try. Thanks CTGUN

FWIW:

I just dropped a non-comp KKM bbl in a G35. I had no such problems with an overly tight chamber. Of course this was with reloads sized by the egw die.

Not familiar with 9mm major but if there is factory ammo available (thinking 9mm case specs would be same) see if it will fit in chamber ok.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

Haven't had that problem with my KKM 9major barrel, using once-fired brass that is more than 50% Glock brass. Sized in a Dillon Square Deal which has unique dies that only Dillon makes.

I did try my gunsmith's standard 9mm reamer - wanted to make sure there were no burrs in the chamber. Anyway, the reamer didn't get within .25" of the bottom of the chamber - combination of tapered case design & tight specs by KKM.

Thanks for the info everyone. I ordered an EGW undesize die and am going to give that a try. I don't think that the crimp was the problem as it seamed that the base of the round was where it was binding but I will look at that just to make sure if the EGW die doesn't do it. This is what I like about the forum there is always someone to give you idea's that you wouldn't think of on your own. I will let you know the results as soon as I get the die in and try it.

If it's the base, then move to Redding dies... theur sizing die goes further down the case... and you really would like the comp seating die too... I'm currently using the Lee FCD, but may elect to go back to the Redding... I like the sizing portion of the Lee FCD, but the crimp insert isn't up to my expectations... The Redding is much nicer to the case mouth...