Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scoring shots that also hit a barrel

obsessiveshooter

On 10/6/2019 at 11:13 AM, d_striker said:

The most relevant point to me was regarding the part of 9.5.5 that mentions a "grease mark or crown."  The article states that the "e.g." in this rule makes "grease marks or crowns" EXAMPLES of evidence of a hit and that they are not  a REQUIREMENT to be scored a hit.  

And even then, rule 9.5.5 is only relevant for enlarged or irregular holes in paper.  How many times have you heard an RO say that there has to be a grease mark on a perfect bullet hole in paper?  

Just saw this thread again, the not a REQUIREMENT clarification seems to completely change the outcome in the example i posted earlier in this thread.  

3 hours ago, RJH said:

Just saw this thread again, the not a REQUIREMENT clarification seems to completely change the outcome in the example i posted earlier in this thread.  

In these cases, as the shooter, I ask two questions to determine if I will take it to the next level. First I ask, "did the bullet pass completely through the barrel/wall/hardcover?"  If the answer is no, I will then ask "did the bullet make the hole in that target?"  If the answer is yes, the shot scores. 

Now if there is question about whether the shot passed fully through hardcover or if it was the bullet that caused the hole, we need to investigate to get those answers. As an RO, I find the answers to these questions are most likely found at the hardcover strike, not at the target. 

Edited by theWacoKid

13 hours ago, gnoyesiv said:

I was at a match recently that had a lady shooting at wide open targets and not leaving grease rings. I don't know what ammo she was shooting, but again, no grease rings. if that is the standard test we must go by then she wouldn't have hit any target at the match.

Agreed.  Also, some pasters are so glossy that bullets don't leave a grease mark on them.