Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Spring Length

vtecrx

12 inches of spring showing before you compress it is fine as a starting point. If all 8 rounds load easy without the spring stacking then you are good to go. If the last couple rounds get very difficult to insert, or the last round is a really tight fit, cut a few coils at a time until the situation is eased.

--

Regards,

• 1 month later...
12 inches of spring showing before you compress it is fine as a starting point. If all 8 rounds load easy without the spring stacking then you are good to go. If the last couple rounds get very difficult to insert, or the last round is a really tight fit, cut a few coils at a time until the situation is eased.

--

Regards,

George,

My last two round are pretty tough to get in the tube. The mag spring is about two inches longer than the combination of the extended tube and factory tube. Stated another way, if you removed the follower and put the spring in the installed extended tube, then the spring will be about 2" into the receiver with the bolt locked back.

OK to cut some coils? Thx.

George,

My last two round are pretty tough to get in the tube. The mag spring is about two inches longer than the combination of the extended tube and factory tube. Stated another way, if you removed the follower and put the spring in the installed extended tube, then the spring will be about 2" into the receiver with the bolt locked back.

It almost sounds as if you don't have enough spring length to start with. Hmmm! Am I understanding that your mag spring when uncompressed is only two inches longer that the entire mag tube (fixed part and removeable extention combined)?

--

Regards,

George,

It almost sounds as if you don't have enough spring length to start with. Hmmm! Am I understanding that your mag spring when uncompressed is only two inches longer that the entire mag tube (fixed part and removeable extention combined)?

--

Regards,

Yep.

At +2" I would think you would be the mayor of misfeed city. I think there is something wrong with the extension or the tube if the last two shells are hard to insert with a +2" spring. ... or you need to eat your Wheaties :) .

Different gun... but after reading here that the British were going +4" with their Remmies I installed a Wolf cut to +4" in my 1100. Initially worked but then it started to jam like 1 out of a 100 shots. Stretched it out and it worked for awhile. But it again started to jam after some use. Took out the spring and it measured ~+2.5" unstretched.

I installed another Wolf spring at +5.5-6" when new. After using it (with 100% reliability) for about three months it is now at +4.25" unstretched. I am guessing that the +4" that I read the British were using is after the spring has taken a set.

I am running a spring in my open 11-87 with 10 round capacity that has 13-14 inches of uncompressed length showing after it in place in the fixed and extension tube. This is with a fairly well used spring. It was closer to 15-16 when it was brand spankin' new.

An 8+1 shotgun should have no less than 8 inches of spring showing even after set, but never under 6-7 IMO.

I switched to springs from Beven Grams and noticed less loading resistance, yet solid function and the tenth round now goes in easily and there is still a half round of space left. His springs don't coil bind as early as Wolff springs.

I was also told to NEVER stretch ANY mag spring EVER. Beven told me that pretty much trashes a spring.

BTW, the 2" showing spring sounds like it is totally sacked and need to be replaced. The reason it's hard to feed the last two rounds is that it is near coil bind then and it still does have some force left there. I'd say replace it and I would say get the replacements from Grams Engineering.

--

Regards,

BTW, the 2" showing spring sounds like it is totally sacked and need to be replaced. The reason it's hard to feed the last two rounds is that it is near coil bind then and it still does have some force left there. I'd say replace it and I would say get the replacements from Grams Engineering.

--

Regards,

Thx.

I ordered a new spring from Beven Grams. He took time to listen to my problem and said I was likely getting spring bind.

My Briley tube has a solid end cap (although it will screw on and off) - unlike the DMW tube that has a "floating" end cap. The DMW floating end cap helps to keep the spring from twisting in the tube when you screw down the extended tube.

You'll notice that factory, non-extended tubes usually use a mag spring retainer under the end cap. That part keeps the spring from twisting when screwing down the end cap.

The factory Benelli mag spring retainer is too small for Briley tube. Apparently the inside diameter of the Briley tube is slightly larger than the factory tube. I installed the new spring and was getting major binding - the last round would not go in the tube.

I then used the factory Benelli mag spring retainer in the Briley tube. Even though the factory Benelli mag spring retainer is undersized for the Briley tube, is seemed to eliminate the binding and all 8 shells seated easily with positive feeding during dry fire.

I need to go fire it before the GA State this weekend to make sure all is well.

Thanks for your helpful comments and thanks to Beven.