Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Front Sight Prob

Darianis

Hey guys I'm fairly new to the uspsa and I am putting togather a para linited rig based on a P16-40. I got a great deal on it(under $500 nib) but when I got it I got a slight unfortunate suprise seems that the front sight is pinned on. Now I want to put one of those new fangled fibre sights on it to replace the 3 dot system in place now. What's the best way to do that?

PS posting a pic of my new limited rig :D

post-5466-1127138319_thumb.jpg

In the long run you will want to have a cross dovetail cut in the front of the slide to get the best FO sights. I did mine with some files, but it is a lot of work and fitting. Best to go to a gunsmith. Take a look at the sights from Brazos and EGW and get the dovetail dimensions you want and have it cut. You might want to have the back cut for Bomars while you are there. This should not cost that much.

Until then try a dot of flourescent paint on just the front dot to see how you like it. I did this on one of my guns and it actually works pretty well in sunlight and it will give you an idea of how a FO will look.

Mike Caylor (http://www.caylorcustomguns.com/) made these mods to my P14.45. He made cuts to the slide for both a front and rear sight, then installed a Dawson FO front sight and Bomar rear. I am very happy with the sights and the work. He machined the back of the slide down so the rear sight has a very low profile.

I have one slide that has a stake on front sight. The rest all have Dawson fiber optic front sights.

I have not had any problem with the stake on front. It was originally installed in 1994 and still solid after thousands of 45 rounds.

It is a Millett orange ramp. Next to a fiber optic, it is my favorite. For fast close up shooting, I think it is faster than the FO. Hard to miss that big orange front sight out there. But the FO is better for precision or longer range targets.

If you want to keep it simple, the Millett stake on is an easy fix. However, the versatility of a front dovetail is hard to ignore. If you do have a dovetail cut, go with a larger surface cut like for a Kimber. The factory Para dovetail cut is rather narrow and I have had the front sight move in the factory dovetail.

I too have a 16-40 with the same staked on front sight. It shot loose and I was unable to tighten it with normal tooling. I ended up replacing it with a wide tennon sight from Brownells. I also bought the staking tool from them. This seemed to do the trick. It was worth the investment. Brownells now has a wide tennon fiber optic stake in front sight. Might be worth a look. However, the dovetail cutting advice is the best option in my opinion.