Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silica In The Bullets

joão pinão

i put silica in my bullets

Why? lubrication or filler?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

"The chemical compound silicon dioxide, also known as silica, is the oxide of silicon, chemical formula SiO2."

"The most common constituent of sand in inland continental settings and non-tropical coastal settings is silica, usually in the form of quartz because the considerable hardness of this mineral resists erosion."

Silica is generally a hard material, and bad for the bore of the gun. I would recommend not using it. My $.02.

Probably he's referring to silicon, which some people do put on loaded rounds to ensure smooth feeding.

Assuming thats what we're talking about, I thought this would up velocity slightly - increase power factor.

I wouldn't think this is whats causing bullets to tumble. What happens when you don't put "silica" on the bullets?

al

After determining that spray silicone is what you mean, the first question to ask would be: Do the same bullets shoot fine without being treated with silicone. If they do, that answers the question perfectly. If they don't, that also answers the question perfectly.

Try shooting a treated batch and an untreated batch over a chronograph and see if the velocity varies. Try the same thing for accuracy on a target at 25+ yards and see whats going on with a controlled comparison.

Start with a clean barrel before each type is tested.

Welcome to the forums. Let us know what you find out.

--

Regards,

Some people use silica to make glass. Others use silicon to make computer chips. Some use silicone gel to caulk windows or make their breasts larger. I use silicon/silcone spray on the inside of my mags so they feed ammo more smoothly. Whatever product you use on your ammuntion, it shouldn't change the coefficient of friction enough to make your bullets tumble... maybe the problem is related to jacketed vs. lead bullets, or an excessively worn or leaded barrel?

Some people use silica to make glass.  Others use silicon to make computer chips.  Some use silicone gel to caulk windows or make their breasts larger.  I use silicon/silcone spray on the inside of my mags so they feed ammo more smoothly. Whatever product you use on your ammuntion, it shouldn't change the coefficient of friction enough to make your bullets tumble... maybe the problem is related to jacketed vs. lead bullets, or an excessively worn or leaded barrel?

Gee ... I wonder if anyone out there is using it to bake their bullets bigger?