Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for load data for 38 short Colt

Gomar83

I’ve got a 627 in the works and I was hoping I could get some load recipes and advice, because I have no experience with this round. What die combinations work best for this round? I know I have have to use federal small pistol primers.

Lee makes 38 short Colt dies so you can use the case activated powder through die on a progressive press. 9mm taper crimp die works for your final stage. I found a firm crimp allowed me to get more accurate groups and better SD.
Start with low end 9mm load data. And work up. Most powders that work well in minor power factor 9mm will work well for 38 short Colt in a 357 mag gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Gomar83 said:

I’m going to be using a 550 Dillion so which powder funnel would I use? 9mm or 38 spl?

Can’t remember but I asked Dillon via their web chat and they had the answer right away. Must be getting more inquiries.

6 minutes ago, Gomar83 said:

I was curious as to how it works if you use .358 dia bullets and then turn and use a 9mm crimp die being its normally used with a .355 dia bullet. Wouldn’t it be easier to over crimp?

Nope. I’m loading.358s on a 9mm taper crimp die and it’s great. After setting the crimp, pull one to make sure the coating isn’t broken. 

• 4 weeks later...