Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 Reloading

I've been using the Dillon FL die on a single stage to deprime/size my brass. I was thinking of removing the decap pin assembly and buying the Lee neck collet die to use on my 550B. This would resize the neck only plus decap. Then I could load.

For a bolt gun or an auto loader?

For autoloader guns best is to full length size each loading...

necksizing only is fine for a bolt gun for 2-3 reloads, but will then probably need the shoulder bumped. I use body die after a neck die and bump the shoulder back each time.

That's the easiest to do. If you get into neck sizing you have to keep an eye on more aspects of the case on subsequent loadings. Also the improvement to accuracy may not even be noticeable. I get 3/8" groups with full length die in a 700 5r (with stock/ trigger/ and bedding)

I would say, since you mentioned you dont shoot much rifle, get a new end mill for your trimmer. prep your way through 1000 of each and put the rest away. run through that a few times untill it starts to weeken or the pile diminishes than do another 1000.

I shoot so that I can reload(i really enjoy it) so i would prep my way through the whole pile and put it away clean and ready to go.

Thanks.... I read an article that Mike Dillon tried either way. He did the single stage, 100 rounds, then loaded another 100 rounds on a 550B. The difference was negligible at best unless your bench rest shoot. I'll just go back to using my 550B and just watch the OAL, etc....