Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP 9mm ultra light shroud barrel

16 hours ago, 1sickPuppy said:

Anyone know if you have to put a handguard over the shroud or can you grasp the shroud?

Anyone make a slip on cover so you can grab the shroud?

You could theoretically just use a barrel nut but depending on where you're thinking of grabbing the aluminum and your firing schedule the shroud may be toasty. There's not really any carbon fouling to speak of coming out of the shroud on mine. I prefer a hand guard but I suppose I'm a bit rough on guns. 

Picture1.jpg

What’s the pro and cons of a shroud barrel vs a regular 16” barrel? Besides being lighter.

The main con with a barrel like this is also the main pro; weight. Lighter you go, the more the gun will move. No way around that, but it's not a huge deal for some people.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, 1sickPuppy said:

What’s the pro and cons of a shroud barrel vs a regular 16” barrel? Besides being lighter.

In USPSA PCC with essentially everything being an ultra-short drag race shot there's not much of a downside to a lighter rifle. I run either a shrouded 16" Ultra-light aluminum JP barrel or a 10.5" SBR JP. For Steel Challenge lighter barrels are even more advantageous since transitions are the majority of time instead of physical movement between arrays. Lighter guns transition faster.

Technically all other variables being held constant there's a slight difference in recoil between 2 PCC's of different weights. In practice it's exceptionally minor differences that is really getting into the weeds to find the tiniest hair to split. The JP barrel with the integrated compensator actually shoots very soft with all the various ammo I've shot through it. I doubt you will find it recoils any more than a steel barrel with a comp but if you do you can always add a tungsten weight to your silent captured spring to lighten up the recoil impulse. 

I prefer very light rifles in USPSA / Steel Challenge and a heavy pig for 3 Gun /PRS but not for recoil, for positional stability. 

In USPSA PCC with essentially everything being an ultra-short drag race shot there's not much of a downside to a lighter rifle. I run either a shrouded 16" Ultra-light aluminum JP barrel or a 10.5" SBR JP. For Steel Challenge lighter barrels are even more advantageous since transitions are the majority of time instead of physical movement between arrays. Lighter guns transition faster.

Technically all other variables being held constant there's a slight difference in recoil between 2 PCC's of different weights. In practice it's exceptionally minor differences that is really getting into the weeds to find the tiniest hair to split. The JP barrel with the integrated compensator actually shoots very soft with all the various ammo I've shot through it. I doubt you will find it recoils any more than a steel barrel with a comp but if you do you can always add a tungsten weight to your silent captured spring to lighten up the recoil impulse. 

I prefer very light rifles in USPSA / Steel Challenge and a heavy pig for 3 Gun /PRS but not for recoil, for positional stability. 
Light is good, but there is such a thing as too light. I don't have any first-hand experience with the JP barrel, but I can't imagine the speed holes in the shroud make it feel significantly different than the Taccom I used for a couple seasons. I went from using the ULW with no handguard to a 14.5 and saw a very noticeable difference in dot movement. Roughly half with the 14.5 to be specific. There is a definite difference in the number of alphas I get, as well as the speed I feel comfortable pushing because I know I'll get the second hit. Everyone who has tried both versions of my gun has said the same thing.

Granted, I was using a ULW with no handguard which is pretty far in the extremely light category. Did the quick math and a factory JP upper with their handguard and ULW is actually within an ounce of my current 14.5 setup. So if you're speccing out a factory JP with that barrel, it'll probably feel pretty similar despite the difference in barrels.

24 minutes ago, RAINY0DAYS said:

Light is good, but there is such a thing as too light. I don't have any first-hand experience with the JP barrel, but I can't imagine the speed holes in the shroud make it feel significantly different than the Taccom I used for a couple seasons. I went from using the ULW with no handguard to a 14.5 and saw a very noticeable difference in dot movement. Roughly half with the 14.5 to be specific. There is a definite difference in the number of alphas I get, as well as the speed I feel comfortable pushing because I know I'll get the second hit. Everyone who has tried both versions of my gun has said the same thing.

Granted, I was using a ULW with no handguard which is pretty far in the extremely light category. Did the quick math and a factory JP upper with their handguard and ULW is actually within an ounce of my current 14.5 setup. So if you're speccing out a factory JP with that barrel, it'll probably feel pretty similar despite the difference in barrels.

Everyone has a preference on weight and systems perform differently depending on the parts. Your setup might have been ideal with a totally different bullet weight and powder charge as an example. I can and have doubled (or reduced by half) dot movement by changing recoil springs as an example. However objective comparison and speculation are 2 different things. 

I'll see if I can get a couple of snapshots of the gas redirection from the JP aluminum barrel this evening. I think you will be surprised the difference between a straight tube and the JP design. It's more effective than I thought it would be for sure. 

Don't forget the difference in weight isn't at a single point in space. Removing weight primarily at the end of the rifle (barrel) compared to removing weight at the barrel nut (hand guard) produces a very different feel when swinging and moving a rifle. You can also significantly affect the balance point in either a positive or negative way. So 2 rifles with identical weights do not necessarily balance or perform similarly. Think of a heavy profile 20" AR-15 barrel with a MFT stock vs a medium profile 18" AR-15 with a Magpul PRS stock. The balance of those 2 will be incredibly different with approximately the same total weight on a scale. 

Everyone has a preference on weight and systems perform differently depending on the parts. Your setup might have been ideal with a totally different bullet weight and powder charge as an example. I can and have doubled (or reduced by half) dot movement by changing recoil springs as an example. However objective comparison and speculation are 2 different things. 

I'll see if I can get a couple of snapshots of the gas redirection from the JP aluminum barrel this evening. I think you will be surprised the difference between a straight tube and the JP design. It's more effective than I thought it would be for sure. 

Don't forget the difference in weight isn't at a single point in space. Removing weight primarily at the end of the rifle (barrel) compared to removing weight at the barrel nut (hand guard) produces a very different feel when swinging and moving a rifle. You can also significantly affect the balance point in either a positive or negative way. So 2 rifles with identical weights do not necessarily balance or perform similarly. Think of a heavy profile 20" AR-15 barrel with a MFT stock vs a medium profile 18" AR-15 with a Magpul PRS stock. The balance of those 2 will be incredibly different with approximately the same total weight on a scale. 
I've tried several different buffers and loads. There's only so much you can cheat physics, weight is important.

Given that we still argue over the efficacy of normal comps on PCCs, you will not be able to convince me that the speed holes on the lowest pressure part of the barrel are doing anything meaningful. Just because you can see gas does not mean that gas is doing anything.

As far as weight distribution, you are absolutely right! That's a big part of user preference, but I still think I'm correct in saying that my upper probably doesn't feel too different than a factory JP with this barrel. Your tube by itself weighs as much as my entire handguard with hardware. Any weight you're taking out of the front with that barrel is being put right back out there with that heavy tube. No, they probably don't feel exactly the same, but I'd put money on them being pretty close. Recoil impulse is also going to feel different due to velocity.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not downing this barrel. If anything, I think it'd be extremely well balanced with a factory JP rifle. I'm just saying that with two otherwise identical guns, the lighter one is going to move more, and that there is such a thing as too light for this application.