Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics RDS - Shortest from base to dot?

tombo131

Hey all,

Looking to start trying CO soon, but I'm having a hard time finding reviews/feedback regarding what I would consider an important metric. I'm using the Walter Q5, and want to utilize my plates vs. milling; due to this, I'm looking for the RDS that is the shortest from its base to the dot. In other words, what sight has the lowest dot so that I can try to keep the dot as close to the bore as possible without milling?

Thanks in advance.

While height over bore is important in Open, in my CO experience, it's basically negligible. Whether on a dovetail adapter plate, or milled, I've never had to hold high/low to get hits due to offset at any distance we see in USPSA. 

Yes, it's quicker to make the transition from irons to a dot if the dot is lower, but IMO it shouldn't be a deciding factor of the setup (dot reliability #1, dot visibility #2). A week or two of honest dryfire will help make that transition seamless. 

Also, IMO, co-witnessing iron sights in CO is useless in our game of USPSA. They cover valuable window space, and act as a distraction in a sight picture. 

I understand others may disagree, but this is what has worked for me in my CO time. :cheers: