Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally pulled the trigger after years of drooling over the Blue Press issues each month...

I've been out of the reloading game for 12+ years or so.   I used to really enjoying getting my off-the-rack basic bolt action hunting rifles dialed in with super-accurate loads on the single stage RCBS I had.

Work, family and etc dominated my time and hunting fell off....thus the need to reload.     I sold all my gear to a hunting buddy who has been using it with great results ever since.

I do find myself getting by the local indoor range weekly and burning through some 9mm, 45acp and other stuff.

I also have some offers to hunt with some friends at places that are much closer to home than my old leases.....I'm talking like a 15 minute drive.   Looks like I'll take them up on the offer and sneak out to some hunts this year.

My father is really enjoying his retirement and is hitting the indoor range twice a week.  He's made the comment on a number of occasions that he'd love it if I was reloading again and could keep him fed with .38scpl wadcutter rounds.

Last month my Dillon XL650 arrived on my doorstep.   Since then I've bought the case feeder and a few full quick change setups for 9mm, 45acp, 44scpl/mag, .38spcl/mag.

Once I get it set up in the weeks ahead (when I have some time off work) I will be rolling my own target loads once again.

Here's the crazy part......I decided to go ahead and get a 550C, too.

Tracking info is showing it'll be on my doorstep sometime tomorrow.

I'm planning on using it for .30'06, .45/70 and .308win in the beginning.    The powder measure that comes with it will be actually used on a toolhead for the XL650.   I'll most likely be manually weighting and trickling each charge for the rifle loads on the 550C. 

A buddy (mainly a handgun target guy) said I was nuts for simply not doing everything on the XL650.  I can understand his point, but I wanted the manual indexing of the 550 and faster changeovers with no casefeeder parts to condend with.  The toolheads & conversion kits alone will pay for the 550 as I add more calibers in the future (none will use powder measures).

I can leave the XL650 setup for larger runs of target stuff and be able to do whatever the flavor of the  day is on the 550C.

Looking forward to getting going again.  Glad to have gone with Dillon finally.....it's been a long time coming.

I'll have plenty of questions in the future and will be grateful for the help that is found on this forum.

mTgXixs.jpg

Edited by DubfromGA

I have 2 XL650s, but I would love to get a 550 for the same reason as the OP, I load pistol, 223 and 147 gr. 308 loads on my 650s, but I still use my single stage for my accuracy stuff, A 550 would bridge the gap nicely between my antiquated single stage and the XL650.

I have the same setup 650 (9,45,223) 550 (6.5, 308)

I tend to agree with you I had always done my rifle on a single stage and trickle charged. Now that I  have the 650 and pistol /223 moved off of the 550 I moved rifle over. Ive noticed im not getting super consistent charges. Im probably going to take the priming system off of the 550 and use the press for resize/decap/ trim  and  seating/crimping only.

I do recommend 2 toolheads per rifle caliber. It will make life easier if you plan to trim or clean after decapping/resizing

On 7/15/2019 at 7:57 AM, m700 said:

I have the same setup 650 (9,45,223) 550 (6.5, 308)

I tend to agree with you I had always done my rifle on a single stage and trickle charged. Now that I  have the 650 and pistol /223 moved off of the 550 I moved rifle over. Ive noticed im not getting super consistent charges. Im probably going to take the priming system off of the 550 and use the press for resize/decap/ trim  and  seating/crimping only.

I do recommend 2 toolheads per rifle caliber. It will make life easier if you plan to trim or clean after decapping/resizing

Appreciate your insight.

Trimming is certainly going to come into play at some time in the near future.  How much or how little depends on if I finally get bitten by the .223/5.56 bug.  I've been holding off getting too deep into that direction until I get my handgun range fodder and hunting ammo dialed in.

Some of the extruded powder I'm planning on using has me wondering how constant the drops will be from the Dillon powder measures.   The good news is that it'll be easy to pull the filled case of the 550C and weigh it.......could always set the drops to be slightly low....trickle up to exact.  I'll still be way more efficient than I was with the single stage.   

On 7/14/2019 at 5:39 PM, Apollo99 said:

I have 2 XL650s, but I would love to get a 550 for the same reason as the OP, I load pistol, 223 and 147 gr. 308 loads on my 650s, but I still use my single stage for my accuracy stuff, A 550 would bridge the gap nicely between my antiquated single stage and the XL650.

2 XL650's and another press for rifle has to be a sweet layout.   Your time is spent producing ammo vs setup time.  

I'm hopping this will work out well. I'm excited to get back to running my own ammo in my guns.

Getting closer on getting the rifle stuff I wanted to start with: .30'06 & 45/70 and shortly down the road maybe 270WSM.

Been picking up manuals, primers, bullets, brass, case gauges & powder.  

84hnYKY.jpg

0q5m1Nv.jpg

These DVD's have been helpful, too.

pTeSjBQ.jpg

4hjXZtS.jpg

Back in my prior handloading days the basic stuff was what I used to clean & polish brass.....figured I'd go back with the similar for starters this time around.   I've not done enough research into the ultrasonic cleaners.

dDmTU6L.jpg

hG55VEj.jpg

I've not added the rifle dies just yet.   I'm checking into some options and waiting on some reply emails.  

I had some questions about using the powder funnel that comes in the Dillon conversion kit with various other brands/types of dies.

The powder funnel on rifle cases doesn't do any expanding. And sits in the powder die. You could use any other dies you would like.

Starting with pistol reloading is the best way to get into reloading. Or any straight wall case for that matter. Rifle loading has a few more steps and the more time you spend on each case the more accuracy you can pull out of it. But for 223 plinking ammo you can keep the steps down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:24 AM, m700 said:

Dub I just saw this randomly so if your planning on using a powder trickle you can run this, or something similar, in the number 2 position

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DILLON-powder-die-with-funnel-in-excellent-cond/113825526147?hash=item1a8087b183:g:c98AAOSwl7NdL1u4

Thanks.

That's exactly what I'm using.  My dies for .30'06 & .45/70 arrived Friday.....had one of those powder "dies" and plastic funnel in the order.

I should have what I need to get my 550c running next week if I can get a couple afternoons off work.

I'm faced with an interesting decision with the 650.   It sits in the unopened box as it arrived from Dillon.    They've given me the option to return it to them and pay the $50 difference and get the 750.

It seems like a no-brainer decision as I'm just getting started and haven't developed any habits or working knowledge of the 650.

I need to make sure the aftermarket gear I've bought for the 650 will also work on the 750 (Inline Fab mount & roller handle, conversion kits, toolheads & etc).

From what I was reading in the thread for the 750 someone talked to Dillon sand they claim all 650 parts all work on 750. It's the priming system and a few other little details that changed

10 hours ago, m700 said:

From what I was reading in the thread for the 750 someone talked to Dillon sand they claim all 650 parts all work on 750. It's the priming system and a few other little details that changed

That would make me lean further toward doing the swap.....knowing the case feeder and other gear will be used.

I've shelled out more dinero for this press + needed gear than I initially planned.....starting over from scratch for reloading has thumped my gun funds something fierce. 

I'm getting down to the wire on what I wanted to spend on this initial deal.

For example, the shipping cost both ways + price different of the press is equivalent to the chrono I was planning on getting next week.     

It's all good.......my fat arse can simply skip on eating out and other frivolous stuff for a while and spend the money instead on bullets, powder and primers.

I started off with the idea I'd just get a barebones 650 and play with it and get solid on it.  A week later it was: Oh hell yeah....I'm adding the case feeder now.....and want to use the rock solid Ultramount.......and then really wanted the 550c for rifle and other short run stuff.....and an Ultramount for it.......another sip of the Blue Kool-Aid and it seemed  perfectly normal....and anther sip........

NTPAYqq.jpg

It's all good.   Truth is I'll have a lot of fun tinkering around with the gear....brass prep prior to loading......loading.....ladder loads....getting dialed in on specific loads that I want for range & hunting.............then starting the process all over again with new calibers added.

I'll have my hands full with dialing in on the initial stuff: .45acp, 9mm, .44mag, .38spcl, .30'06 and .45/70. 

Then I've seen some fun loads for my 270WSM.......and I'm sorta smitten with adding 10mm & 38Super 1911's at some point........

It'll be a hobby that I'll enjoy for the next 30 years.  Time well spent.