Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backstop for dry firing

Jeez....

If just triple-checking your gun and mags to ensure they're unloaded isn't enough,

Let's see.  You could pile sand bags against a wall, or put a thick steel plate on the wall.  Alternately, get a crappy barrel and plug it up with epoxy or something, so that it couldn't possibly fire, or maybe just a barrel in a caliber that you don't actually shoot/have.  

Or you could get a .22 upper and a steel bullet trap, or plug IT up with epoxy.  Of course, you still need to triple check the gun to make sure you've installed the non-shooting mods before you get to dry firing.

Or get an airsoft pistol that closely mimics your real gun.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

Fireplaces, safes and maybe thickly packed bookshelves are also probably sufficient to stop most accidents.

(than there's always the TV-- destroying that is probably a positive thing)

Two words: Body Armor.  

If you're really concerned, don't try to invent something, just get a device known to stop bullet without ricocheting shrapnel everywhere.

Police departments routinely obsolete old body armor.  I don't know if they destroy it or not - so that may or may not be a source. You also might find something used at a cop shop or a gun show.  I bought an old PACA vest for this exact purpose when I was an apartment dweller.  

Second Chance might be willing to sell you the innards out of something for this purpose.  The chest plates they sell are wrapped in Kevlar and would be suitable, but might be a little small.  Try:

http://www.secondchance.com/home.asp

E

Another thought...  Before I begin a dry fire session, my first dry snap is with the muzzle of the gun pointed into the floor.  (I have no basement, so the worst case scenario is an unsightly hole.)  After that, I feel pretty confident that the pistola is indeed unloaded.  

E

Eharte,

If ErikW's procedure would make you feel more comfortable, meaning, if you pulled the trigger and got a click, then you wouldn't have a problem on consecutive dry fired shots, then what you need is a CLEARING BARREL.

These can be bought premanufactured, but really all it is is a barrel about 2/3 full of sand with a lid on it, and a small hole in the lid to put the muzzle of the gun through.  If the gun IS loaded, the round discharges into a couple feet of sand, and stops pretty quickly that way.  

Usually these barrels are placed on a stand, or otherwise inclined at a 45 degree angle, just so it's easier to point into, and away from yourself.  

Other methods suffer in that even if you have something to stop a bullet when you intended to dryfire, there is not protection against an accidental dry fire that goes through the ceiling or floor, or happens on the draw, or whatever (two unlikely accidents, happening at once, but still a potential concern).  

So, yeah...get a clearing barrel, and start and end all your dry fire sessions by clearing your weapon, then dropping the hammer with the muzzle in the barrel.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

On the other hand . . .

No IPSC shooter's house is complete without an AD bullet hole in some wall.

If it happens - a picture works well to cover up holes. Keep it up until the paperwork is completed! Of course this is just what I've heard!

JB

A friend of mine used to dry fire at his alarm clock.  Apparently a digital clock will not stop a .45 slug but the top of an oak dresser will....  His wife may forgive him eventually.

I generally use my bookcase and thus far my books are unscathed.  Keeping the ammo out of the room I dry fire in is beyond a doubt the best practice I have used.

-jhgtyre