Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Throating a CZ barrel ?s

igolfat8

I received my Manson throating reamer today. I have a few questions before using it. I plan to use cutting oil and go slow and turn it by hand on my CM  and TSO barrels.

Do you measure from the barrel hood to the end of the reamer to determine a starting point and use that measurement to know how deep you eventually go?

Do you throat it for just one bullet or do you throat it for the longest bullet that you might use?  I shoot coated cast lead bullets and have 7 different bullets that I could use at any given time and all 7 are different OA lengths. I’ve (dummy) loaded all 7 bullets and know the maximum OAL for each bullet using. Stock barrel and I plan to throat the barrel so it can accept a 1.170” cartridge.

Agree with the above.  Go with longest OAL and check as you go.  Also, every full turn of the throating reamer  be sure to pull it out, clean it off and clean out any chips from the barrel.  It should not take much to get it done and go SLOW with no pressure put on the throating reamer.

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up ... I got my Manson reamer and it worked like a champ on my TSO barrel. However, when I used it on my S2 barrel I ruined the reamer. The black (HARD) coating on the S2 barrel quickly dulled the reamer and rendered it useless. I just wanted to raise awareness in case others go down this same path.

Manson does offer a resharpening service ($40) but by the time one factors in freight costs both ways, it’s more economical to purchase a new reamer.