Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting To The Left

D.carden

Ok people,

I need some advise here.

Shot my first auto-pistol match ever Sun using a G35.

All my shots are off center to the left.

I dont think ammo's an issue as i'm using jacketed stuff ( read posts on lead/plated ).

Now, I'm an upper "A" class revo shooter so i'm hoping this is just a

grip/grip pressure thing.

Elevation is good

Windage!! HUH !! i've got it adjusted all the way to the right and i still shoot to the left.

Everything is stock

So, what da'ya think ??

Dan....

D. Carden,

I had the same issue when I switched to a Glock in Production.

My fix was a grip change..less pressure with the strong hand and really disconnecting the trigger finger from the grip. Also, my trigger finger placement had to move slightly into the trigger..less of a push during the trigger stroke.

Dan,

I have the same problem with Glocks and have determined it is a grip/trigger manipulation problem for me. It seems to have straightened itself out, for the most part, with practice. Lots and lots of practice. Don't know exactly what I did to make it better. But all of my Glocks still have the sights drifted to the right. Some of them quite a bit. For what it's worth, I use the same grip for revolver as I do autos. But I started out with a Glock and figured I should try and have the same grip for everything. Thumbs forward and a crush grip with both hands.

Since you can shoot a DA revolver as well as you do, you should be able to shoot a Glock just as straight. :P

Check your strong hand grip pressure and trigger pull. I used to shoot left all the time then i relaxed my strong hand grip and gripped the pistol more with my left hand and worked on my trigger pull to make sure I always pulled the trigger straight back instead of canting my finger down on the trigger. It has worked for me.

I think i'm getting some where now !!

Also, I need to put a trigger/over travel stop on this. That release real "bugs the sh*t out of me". My revo has no over travel at all so i'm thinking that has something to do with it. That last little "jerk" may have me pushing it left.

Anybody using a "stop" ?

Keith, you got one on your revo or your Glock?

How about grip tape?

Dan...

I believe the only guns I have overtravel stops on are my 625 and my Smith model 27. I'm not 100% sure about the 625. I'll have to look when I get home, but, I think there is one there. I never felt the need, personally, for one on any of my Glocks, but, you're correct. It could be that last little movement of you're trigger finger when it finally breaks.

I have recently put grip tape on several of my Glocks both for competition and carry. I went with the Decal Grip with sand texture. So far I like them.

But the big question is,

How did you do at the match, Dan?

Oh yeah !! Just for laughs :D:D:D

The other day i was shooting with the load i built and the damn slide kept locking back.

I'm thinkin' WTF !! I cant shoot a freak'in auto for sh*t.

So, forum member TMC ( Todd) was on the range also so I say "Todd, I cant get this thing runn'in, you try. He shoots it just fine !!!

WTF!!! again.

This time he watches me shoot and says" your right thumb is lifting the slide lock lever after you break the shot".

Talk about DUHH!!!

So you know what got HACKED down after that match !!!

No more accidental slide locking now. No more WTF!! I hope

Dan... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

PS

Didn't do well at the match. To many "mikes". Shoot'in to far left

I've been known to bump the slide lock lever open on my G35, also. I have 10 Glocks and I only do it on the 35 I use for limited. Go figure. I do not have any extended slide stops on Glocks now just to be safe. Seems to have solved my problem.

Carden,

First, thank you for helping with the carbide and getting it to Shannon at ARea 6. Now, I had to reposition my trigger finger so there was more finger on the trigger than a 1911. Also, the slide lock, do you have the standard lock or the extended with the ledge/small triangle shelf? If you have the extended, try the standard one, it doesnt have much to hold on to.

Oh yeah !!  Just for laughs :D  :D  :D

The other day i was shooting with the load i built and the damn slide kept locking back.

I'm thinkin' WTF !!  I cant shoot a freak'in auto for sh*t.

So, forum member TMC ( Todd) was on the range also so I say "Todd, I cant get this thing runn'in, you try. He shoots it just fine !!!

WTF!!! again.

This time he watches me shoot and says" your right thumb is lifting the slide lock lever after you break the shot".

Talk about DUHH!!!

So you know what got HACKED down after that match !!!

No more accidental slide locking now. No more WTF!! I hope

Dan... :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

PS

Didn't do well at the match. To many "mikes".  Shoot'in to far left

Ok people,

I need some advise here.

Shot my first auto-pistol match ever Sun using a G35.

All my shots are off center to the left.

I dont think ammo's an issue as i'm using jacketed stuff ( read posts on lead/plated ).

Now, I'm an upper "A" class revo shooter so i'm hoping this is just a

grip/grip pressure thing.

Elevation is good

Windage!! HUH !! i've got it adjusted all the way to the right and i still shoot to the left.

Everything is stock

So, what da'ya think ??

Dan....

Dan, it was the wind blowing from right to the left that was giving you the problem...next time stand more to the right of the targets....

mikey

Could it be that your trigger finger is pushing the gun to the left as you take up the longer/harder trigger pull? If so, you don't want to adjust the sights to compensate. I'd try shooting the gun as slowly as possible, gradually taking up the trigger while holding your sight picture. Maybe even shoot from a bench, so you know where the gun shoots. If you're on target when shooting that way, the gun is on and you are off.

This is from a lowly C-class shooter, but I do have some experience instructing.

DCarden, I feel your pain.

I've been shooting a 1911 Govt. and it was a source of great inward pride to me, how accurately I could shoot it (at least at the range, something "odd" happened in matches).

So it made perfect sense to ditch this platform and now wrestle with a pair of Glocks. I, too, am shooting badly left, especially under pressure. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's a couple things:

1) Trigger.

2) Fit in the hand. I can't speak for a revolver, but I know the grip is very different for *me* with a Glock. With the 1911, it feels most comfortable slightly off-center in the web of the thumb and first finger of the strong hand, if that makes sense. The Glock grip is more natural centered exactly in the web.

3)Different strong/weak hand assembly. I'm still messing with this; I think I have nowhere near enough weak-hand pressure, to counter balance the strong hand, which seems to grip much harder than it did with the 1911. I'm also not sure where to put my strong thumb -- after thousands of rounds getting used to riding the safety, now it feels odd. I guess I should force it down, into the designed cut-out?

Anyway -- just my ramblings. I shot a local match with my new G35 very recently (hadn't fired it before), walked up to the first target afterwards (a 20-yard+ shot), and said WTF?! It's like beating your confidence around the house with a cut-down broom-stick.

Genghis,

A longer/harder trigger pull definetly is not the case here. I'm coming off a revo with #6 and more travel to it.

Actually, I believe the shorter travel is the issue.

I'm trying to "pull" through to a revo travel length which a glock does not have thus pulling the sights to the left ????

Bench/rest shooting will tell all !!!!

Also, I've got to get a trigger stop on this. The over travel has got to go!!!

Feeling excessive travel after the break is not my idea of a good trigger.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep you posted

D.....

SRT,

Interesting that you ask that !!! It actually moves "slightly" to the right when dry firing.

Now , I dont know if its just a little movement in the slide after the release or if its a grip thing.

Also i'm starting on polishing trigger parts. Got it apart to see what contact surfaces need de-burring and smoothing out.

Trigger weight is fine. I dont want it any lighter just smoother.

I think I'll hold off on a trigger stop until I get the parts polished.

Eliminating friction and drag just might be the trick !!

It's seems to stack-up with drag the most just before it breaks.

Dan

D.carden,

More questions!! :D

When you dry fire, does the rear of the slide rise a little when the trigger bar releases the striker?

Since you are a revo shooter, does the same thing happen when you move you trigger finger out a little or are you using the tip of you trigger finger to actuate the trigger?

I used to shoot a lot of revo in PPC and Action Pistol and had the same problem when I first started shooting a glock.

When you call them are you calling them to the left? If you are then it is merely a matter of learning proper trigger control. If not....

Have another experienced shooter you know shoot the gun and see if it is doing the same thing for him.

If it is, get the gun fixed.

If it isn't, you aren't calling your shots. ;)

SRT,

The slide rises slightly after the trigger releases the striker.

And, no problems of any kind with the revo.

Jake,

I'm certain my problem is a matter of adjusting to a new grip technique.

Autos vs. Revo's. Theres a definite difference.

After 3 straight years with a revo at hand I'll bet theres a learning curve here somewhere !!!

As far as calling shots. Theres only one to call. "A"

This whole freak'in gun feels odd :D:D:D

Dan....

D.carden,

Sounds like a technique and trigger control issue. It takes a while to get used to a Glock trigger since they are not as precise as a 1911 or a good revo trigger.

A lighter trigger helps but a lot of dry fire and purposeful live fire should work wonders in no time. Play with your strong hand grip pressure and trigger finger placement. I had to reduce my strong hand pressure and move my trigger finger inward a bit.

See if you are stopping and restarting you pull when the trigger gets to the point of striker release. With the stock striker spring, the stacking is very pronounced before the striker releases. See if someone has a reduced power striker spring and try it. Or buy one..they're cheap and easy to install.

Also, try to get used to just letting the trigger reset..when you hear the click.. instead of letting it go all the way forward.

After I spent some time experimenting with my grip etc and learned the Glock trigger, the problem went away. The only time shots string laterally is when the splits get down below in the .12-.15 range with too much tension in my trigger finger. Some guys can slap and smash a Glock trigger..I'm not one of those lucky ones.

Good luck!!