Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N00b Question

mlc933

I'm a n00b who's just enamored with shooting, and I'd love to start shooting competition. I've read in several articles that good fundamentals are absolutely necessary to be good in competition, you know, a fast miss is still a miss and what not. What type of slow fire accuracy should I be looking for before I start worrying about draw speed, multiple targets, things like that? Should I start trying to train up on competition stuff now, while I'm working on basic accuracy? Thanks for any tips you can give.

Welcome to the forum. The things you need to know are at your fingertips.

First i would strongly suggest Brians book Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals.

You will find everything you will need to know from a novice to a expert in that book.

Also check out the seach function and it will give you tons of info for you to read.

I would start with the BEginners Forum

The simple answer is that if you are comforable handling your gun, you understand the basic safety rules, and know how to clear a jam without hurting yourself and those around you, then you can start shooting competition.

In my opinion there is no better way to find out what your weaknesses are and what you need to work on. Go ahead and try it. Go slow, be safe and have fun. I dont think anyone started by being a GM. Well, maybe Brian and TGO, but it is possible they arent from Earth :)

Thanks everyone for the great scoop. Stingerjg, I guess being a beginner and going to the beginner's forum would have just made too much sense. Thanks for the link. Fomeister, if I'm hooked already, and I've yet to shoot, I fear(as does my wallet) what lies in store for me after I find a competition. Take care, all.

In my limited experience I can tell you 2 things.

1. Keep an open mind and no matter who gives you and advice, take it with a grain of salt. They'll give you advices on what works for them, or most people, but they're not The One and Only Sacred Holy Path to Shooting. Be open and critical, don't adopt or dismiss because of a preconception.

2. Try to stablish parallel concepts between the shooting and normal everyday activities you perform. This has helped me a lot, to rid my mind of "OMG I'm shooting" and accepting it as a somewhat "natural" event.

For example, just consider and try this: walking to the store is simple right? Ok. Now do it thinking each and every action necessary to get there. Think "I HAVE to apply 80% of my balance on my right leg while gradually getting pressure off my left leg, but only until I reach the corner where I must make my ankle twist 45 degrees to starboard side...... blabalbala" You'll probably be hit by a car when crossing the street if you do this :P , but if you actually make it to the store, I guarantee you'll be mentally and even physically exhausted and probably you'll have taken a whole lot more time to get there; you'll be far less efficient.

My point is, when you walk to the store you are in varying degrees aware of your surroundings and with a clear focus in mind, getting to the store. On the way, you subdivide focuses on many things important to achieve your objective, like crossing the street, avoiding holes in the sidewalk, trees, whatever; but you don't do this in a conscius manner. Even if you are aware of "OH NO!, there's dogcrap there, I better avoid it", it is most likely that you are already performing the actions necessary to do so in a subconscious manner already.

Shooting should be the same. Don't dogmatize yourself thinking what you should and MUST do in every situation and simply let yourself do it.

I hope I was helpful. :ph34r:

MLC933-

Start NOW. You came to this site for a reason. You had your question for a reason. You had the balls to register and post your inquiry for a reason. Do not ignore, or be afraid of that reason - ACT upon it. I started shooting just a couple of years ago, and hired an NRA/IDPA shooter as my instructor. I paid him $80/hr. After 3 classes, I was ready for much more than he could offer. I started shooting USPSA this year and have learned ten-fold what I learned in private lessons.

The first thing to do is to attend a USPSA safety class. Go to the USPSA website, figure out who operates practical shooting in your neck of the woods, and get qualified to shoot.

Second, start shooting matches. I have learned more in every single match I have attended than I did in any of the $80/hour classes.

Third, feel free to ask questions of the better shooters. I am a first year Production shooter. I was "told" by one of the most experienced RO's to follow and observe and pay attention to two certain shooters who I have been regularly squaded with. While I shoot production, I did as told and followed these two Open shooters. They gracefully included me in their conversations, their thought processes, and helped me "game" the stages. They freely gave me advice about shooting the COFs and about certain techniques, specifically about handling my gun, choosing the most efficient course, and improving my reloads. I later found out that these two guys, who took me under their wing and gave me free advice, were both Grand Master Open shooters. Both regularly attend Nationsals. Both are absolute bad-asses with the pistola. You really cannot afford to miss out on this type of free advice. My personal thanks to Britain/USA Paul and Ken for their teachings.

Fourth, please understand that this activity, like most in life, is mastered only by doing. You will not ever hope to become good until you first start at poor, become mediocre, and slowly improve from there. But, the only first step is to start. Cheers,

-joker22

I totally agree with everyone on this one... Start now - I watched 1 IPSC match and then dryfired some before the next month's match when I shot. I was slow as molasses but safe and learned a lot from a lot of people in the process!

Again, thanks for the advice. I'll check out the next match as soon as one hits my area. I think the local range hosts matches, but I can't swear to it. I'll be checking their schedule next time I head down there. It's cool to see so many people offering advice and assistance, and especially since I've read a bunch of posts all over this forum, and have yet to see much in the way of snotty, rude responses to any questions.

Dont worry. The people shooting at matches are friendly and helpful. Tell them its your first time and they will exert all their effort to help you out esp the RO's. When I started, I dont even have the equipment, I was watching and talking to one of the shooters and asking a lot of things. He asked me if I want to shoot and lend me his equipment inc belt and holster. I was too nervous and I think I finished my first stage in more than 1 minute with more misses than hits. All I hear after the command "if the shooter is finished...." are applauses from my squad mates. And that started me to become a member of USPSA. Thats my experience :D

If you have every been to a range with a friend you have already entered competition shooting :D

Find a local club... Start slow and get your match legs under you before you start trying to fly. If your local club is like ones I have been to they are more than willing to share and help you get started.

Use your local resources before investing in alot of high dollar equipment. I mean most folks will gladly let you try this and that to show off thier toys. Use the resources and spend widely. Just remember to pay back your dues once your a old codger.

Take all advice with a grain of salt. There are alot of folks that mean well (and some that don't) that will try to twist you to a fro with shooting tips. Be open to try them but make your style your own. What worked for mr. smartypants might not fit your style.

Once grounded in the basics.... never stop pushing the edge of the envelope and practice practice practice. :)

Welcome aboard and good luck to you.

Steven Standley

I am a n(o)(o)bie. There is no point in standing on the sidelines. I started in February when my Dad finally dragged me to a match. I had been thinking about getting started for some time, but had not taken the time to do any preparing or even to visit the web site or read the rules.

Did your mamma tell you not to run with knives? I started out a little uncomfortable running with a loaded gun. And I had to consciously remind myself of the safety rules (like the 180 and keeping my finger off the trigger).

Since February I have shot in about three matches a month (USPSA, IDPA, and steel), plus Area 4. I've gone from unclassified to D to C, and last month my scores were in the B percentages. I've done almost all my shooting in matches, which has made it hard. There's no substitute for trigger time, regardless of whose rules you're running under.

You get used to things after a few matches. But you can't learn without doing. If I could do anything different, it would be:

1. Do a little reading ahead of time. Nothing huge, maybe just visit the websites.

2. Forget about speed and GET THE HITS. Everyone told me this, but I still tried to shoot too fast. My early scores would have been much better if I'd listened.

3. If you have any gun problems, either get them fixed or change guns. I went through a couple of months of straight TAP-RACK-BANG drills, during matches. A finicky gun will make it impossible for you to relax and enjoy things.

Jump into the deep end! You'll learn to swim in a hurry!