Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I did a recoil spring change and nearly halved my splits from .3 to .17.  Recently I've had on more than one occasion my time show splits of .07 during a practice and all my targets have hits.  I don't look at a timer during a match.  I'm using a CED 6000 outdoors away from any other gunfire.  It feels as though I'm actually doing it that fast especially after I experience trigger freeze and relax.

So anyway what I want to know is am I doing this, or dreaming then lieing about it or is it some kind of anomaly?  Oh and my practice parter was running the timer so he's seen them too.

One thing I've learned here is that there are no limits or goals, just 'doing'.  I just don't want to lie or be fooled in the process.

Guess I should have said it's an L10 Commander.

Thanks,

Joe        

(Edited by Joe at 12:00 am on July 7, 2002)

I'm not going to say its impossible, I've seen legit splits of .07 with a open super, and I have done a .09 with my open gun (.13 with stock .45) However to my knowledge the only timer that will record that low is the little yellow Speed Timers. Anything else has a limit of about .10 - .12. I think Travis is probably one of the fastest on the trigger, he might be able to shed some more light on this.

Joe,

I use a ced 6000 and find the sensitivity adjustment a problem.

It can easily be too sensitive and records the hit on steel , recording the split at 0.05s for a target at 12yds.

I simply review and remove the 'extra shot'

FTR all the fully auto fire I've recorded in training and R/Oing have splits of .07-.08

Hope that helps,

P.D.

Joe,

I don't want to doubt your success.  However, a .07 split is some goddamn fast shooting.  I've seen it done, but that would mean you've cut your splits by a factor of 4.  If this is for real, I'm chucking all my springs now.  :)  You need to count shots fired versus the count on the timer.  If the counts jive, then you win the cupie doll.  Otherwise...

My guess is that you're getting extras due to echoes.  My echoes are typically from the pit walls and fall in the .08 range.  To correct this requires highly sophisticated technology (masking tape).  Slap a swatch over the microphone and that'll help reduce the echo problem.

Unfortunately, there is no 100% fix for the echo problem.  Once you get the timer dialed in for one scenario, changing locations or a shift in ambient conditions puts you either in the echo or skipped shots condition again.  PACT addresses this issue by rejecting all splits of 0.1 sec or less unless the user puts the timer in "machine gun" mode.  If this problem persists and you find it annoying, you may wish to consider buying a timer/chrono from our gracious host.

Take care,

E

I shoot .05s and .07s all the time! OK, so my CED timer records extra shots all the time. I used to adjust the sensitivity screw between Open and Limited guns, and it would still pick up echoes off the range walls. Somebody told me to put a piece of tape over the microphone. Mine needed a couple pieces of tape. Now I don't have to adjust it, but it will still pick up an echo on occasion if I'm next to a wall.

As even a stock gun will cycle at around .04, a .07 is possible I guess. The shot counter will tell you if it's legitimate.

Remember Miculek can purposely shoot splits with a revolver at 0.16, so an auto could be shoot faster, but maybe not for six rounds consistantly. I have shot (not very often) 7 rounds out of my STI (what accuracy) in a second. I get lots of trigger freeze most of the time.

I have seen a few guys shoot two shots very close together when the trigger is feathered. I think the recoil action of the pistol sets of the sear as the slide slams shut.

I have an article on 22 rifles from the 70's that shows that they were getting clyclic rates of 1300 rpm from semis. So that is 21 rounds a second, this was mechanically done. Not fired by hand. I will try to verify the magazine title and date.

Actually when Miculek set his records in West Point, MS, he was shooting splits that were .12 and .13's with his revo's.  Jerry shot 8 shots out of an 8 shot Smith in 1 second flat, keeping them on a tombstone target at 7 yards I believe.  Then he fired two each on four separate tombstone targets and was within a couple hundreths of 1 second (1.02 maybe?).  He also shot 6, reloaded and shot 6 in 3 seconds.  Because of more accurate timing equipment, he didn't try to duplicate Ed McGivern's records exactly, but instead create his own.  I think he was scared.  ;)   It was a pretty cool deal.  I'll have to dig around and find the tape I have that has that American Shooter episode on it.  I need to watch that again.

I met Jerry in 1999 when he was on holiday in New Zealand. We tried to get him to give us a demo, but he was in fishing mode. Can't fault the man for that. What an awesome gentleman.

Still can't find that article on 22 autos. Will keep trying.