Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen5 Glock 17 not feeding when slide lock released

zdog

I have a new Gen 5 Glock 17 I use for CO.  I don't have many rounds through it but I have noticed that sometimes after going to slide lock that when I slam another mag in the slide closes without the slide being released.  Cool....I have several other guns, 1911 and M&P that do the same thing and I consider it a time saver during a match. The problem is.....that often it will not strip a round from the magazine and then I have to rack the slide following the click but no bang or it will jam and racking the slide just creates a double feed jam.  I am using different new mags so I do not suspect this is a mag problem. If I seat a mag and then rack the slide there are no problems.  When I slam a mag in I do just that.  It is a positive powerful movement.  No half A$$ insertions. The only tweak to the gun is a 13lb recoil spring instead of the stock 17lb recoil spring.

I don't have much experience with glocks so I would appreciate any hints,

Zdog

Edited by zdog

3 minutes ago, vluc said:

My Gen 3's would did this religiously until they stopped doing it (13 lb recoil spring as well).  Don't build that in as part of your routine.

Would you clarify please.  Did it close on an empty chamber when a mag was slammed in or or did it just stop closing when you slammed in a mag.  

Just stopped closing when I slammed it in.  I had counted on that for years, took me by surprise when it stopped.  Now I get excited when it occasionally happens.  My comment was more to that point.

2 hours ago, zdog said:

That seems real reasonable but it is hard to inderstand as hard as I slam that mag in.  How would I go about desensitizing that slide release some?

Make sure part of slide catch that contacts slide notch isn't rounded/worn.

Put mag 90% way in gun, then slam it in. Round feed properly? If so, you're some how hitting gun with mag and dropping slide early on reloads.

Problem solved.  New gun....break the edge on the chamber and polish off the black finish on the feed ramp.  Those two things and the 13lb recoil spring slowed things down just enough where the slide would not go into battery sometimes. I am using a 1.135 COL round with a fmj round nose bullet.

I still don’t understand why sometimes the slide will not even try to pick up a round and go into battery on an empty chamber unless the mag is bumping something before it is fully seated like Polymer suggested.

I guess I’ll find out at the next match how things work now.