Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

optimal barrel length for 9mm and suggestions

I have a QC10 receiver set, bolt and kaw valley 16" barrel with their linear comp build shooting factory 9mm. I've had issues with this build making it shoot flat, I've replaced the stock, buffer tube, went from Taccom 3 stage short stroke buffer to the Blitzkrieg HD with their SS spacer weight, tried 9 different buffer springs, tried a variety of ammo grains and manufacturers. Still, there is too much pressure on the internal parts causing the safety to come loose after 10 rounds and other parts in the lower. Dot still bounces up and I'm beginning to think that the barrel may be the issue.

Another shooter on my squad has a NF lower and complete kaw valley upper using the kaw valley 7.5 oz buffer shooting Winchester white box 115gr and the experience is much smoother.

Was thinking to go with either a 10.5 or 7.5 barrel length and weld the Taccom barrel extension with muzzle brake, hoping that it would be the cure all.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and please discuss optimal barrel length for 9mm.

2 hours ago, Bwillis said:

Do you have any video of the gun in action? 

I use 14.5 si barrel with answer comp. my next build will be 10.5 si barrel and I’ll make a 5.5 comp 

I also have a 10.5 inch SI barrel...  My plan was to use one of the Taccom 5.5 inch light weight barrel extensions, but it is really heavy...  Thinking about the Limcat titanium barrel extension, but it has so many popple holes that the handguard has to be really short.

12 hours ago, CaliPCC said:

Still, there is too much pressure on the internal parts causing the safety to come loose after 10 rounds and other parts in the lower. Dot still bounces up and I'm beginning to think that the barrel may be issue.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated and please discuss optimal barrel length for 9mm.

I have two rifles, and the heavier 16" barrel is easier than the lighter 13.5" to keep on target.

I am thinking that, if you are not currently doing so, you need to try using some blue loctite on stuff to keep it from loosening up.

Also, you might also consider a different muzzle device, because they will make some difference at the higher pressures of the factory ammo that you are using.

(Maybe a VG6 Gamma or a MBX depending how much the gun is traveling, and in which direction)

Edited by Startingover