Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW HD or Practical model extractor?

vgdvc

53 minutes ago, yigal said:

the hd  less flexible than regular extractor.so  fitting must be more accurate .

all this type extractors (leaf spring type) need  to be  tuned/checked   periodically  for 100% reliability .

Quite right, it is like a tank.

To me accurate fitting means the deflection must be set perfectly.  In my experience the HD runs fine with a wide range of tension and, as I've said before, it's difficult to bend that sucker enough (using the Weigand bending tool) to put so much tension on it that functioning is compromised.

The rest of the fitting chores are simply filing the right spots in the right way the same as any other extractor.

• 1 month later...

Just picked up one of the EGW practicals... So far its been harder to get to work than the couple other brands Ive done myself. I cant seem to get enough tension on the case no matter how far its bent. thinking i might need to work on firing pin stop area to bring the extractor hook closer to the case rim. 

Edit: now I've figured it out. Had to file down the pad to get it working. Apparently this is standard procedure when fitting extractors and my statement about it being harder to fit is false... It was my lack of experience. Seems like a great extractor now!

Edited by AF2010

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Anyone have familiarity with the practical ballester-molina model? How does it compare to the regular practical model, what are the differences/benefits, what is the fitting? Thanks

Nm. I  recognized it is for that specific ballester Molina model pistol. Doh!....