Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW HD or Practical model extractor?

vgdvc

Hello. I will be looking to fit a new extractor to my Brazos .38 Super STI slide open pistol. Original extractor functions well but want to have a backup on hand just in case. Rather than go with the Aftec I am planning on using a more traditional built-in extractor from EGW. Has anyone had experience or preferences with the two models offered, HD versus Practical? HD design may require different tension adjustment methods  than is commonly used or am I wrong? Thanks

On 3/13/2019 at 11:14 AM, vgdvc said:

Has anyone had experience or preferences with the two models offered, HD versus Practical? HD design may require different tension adjustment methods  than is commonly used or am I wrong?

I use the HD exclusively so am used to fitting it.  The Practical should be easier to fit.  Tension adjustment method is the same as any other internal 1911 extractor.  The HD has lots of extra "meat" which is good and bad.  It's good because it allows you the greatest flexibility in fitting.  It's bad because it most definitely is not a drop in part.  When fitting any extractor you must address its geometry, deflection, and tension.  Failure to address the first two fitting components can result in lots of functioning problems.

For an in-depth tutorial on extractor fitting see this: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=829865

Edited by Steve in Allentown PA

2 hours ago, Steve in Allentown PA said:

I use the HD exclusively so am used to fitting it.  The Practical should be easier to fit.  Tension adjustment method is the same as any other internal 1911 extractor.  The HD has lots of extra "meat" which is good and bad.  It's good because it allows you the greatest flexibility in fitting.  It's bad because it most definitely is not a drop in part.  When fitting any extractor you must address its geometry, deflection, and tension.  Failure to address the first two fitting components can result in lots of functioning problems.

For an in-depth tutorial on extractor fitting see this: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=829865

Thanks for the info. Seeing your name headline as a location indicator we must not be far from each other as I am about 40 mins. from Allentown

3 hours ago, Steve in Allentown PA said:

I'm in Emmaus.  I used to visit Austin Behlert in Pipersville years ago when we lived in New Hope.

Yep, I grew up 5 minutes away from Behlert Precision. Used to be a weekend hangout. Watched George Smith come up through the ranks there. I think the 625 S&W revolver I had Art Leckie do an action job to was one of the last pieces of work he did.

I use the Aftec in my limited rig but recently installed the practical extractor in a .40 1911 with a tightly fitted FP stop and it functions perfectly. They say the practical ex is rated at 70,000 cycles. For an open rig, I would probably look at the HD version due to the extra meat. 

10 hours ago, hump said:

I just installed the HD version and tuning was easy and the first 500 or so rounds have been flawless

Thanks for the response. Is adjusting for tension the same as a traditional extractor  inserting part way in the channel hole and gently applying pressure to get the necessary bend? It looks like there is so much material up the main part of the shaft that a more aggressive means may have been necessary.

4 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Thanks for the response. Is adjusting for tension the same as a traditional extractor  inserting part way in the channel hole and gently applying pressure to get the necessary bend? It looks like there is so much material up the main part of the shaft that a more aggressive means may have been necessary.

I use the Weigand bending tool and bending the EGW heavy duty extractor requires more effort than a traditionally shaped extractor.  But I don't break a sweat so it's not that bad.

9 hours ago, jstagn said:

Just get a tuned extractor from Bob at Brazos.

I tried that. Requires a good amount of tuning before it will hold a .38 Super case properly. Works well in my .40 so that's where it will stay for primary or backup.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 10:17 AM, yigal said:

somebody know if tool for accurate  tuning this type of extractor exist? (  weigand type.)

I use Weigand's bending tool as noted in a post above.

FWIW, I don't bother trying to set tension to a specific amount because if you set the deflection to .010" it's difficult to bend this extractor so much that feeding is compromised.

On 3/14/2019 at 1:50 PM, Steve in Allentown PA said:

Great write up!  

Do you setup your extractors for 9mm the same way with regard to the edge of the claw not contacting case?

1 hour ago, d_striker said:

Great write up!  

Do you setup your extractors for 9mm the same way with regard to the edge of the claw not contacting case?

I don't do 9mm extractors but there are two schools of thought on how to fit them.  Either will work.  The first way is to fit them exactly as I described for .45 extractors.  The other way is to use the edge of the claw as the contact point with the case to provide pressure against the case instead using of the tensioning wall as the contact point to provide the pressure.

I know some high end pistolsmiths who fit them the first way.  This is the more difficult option

I suspect most folks fit them using the second method which is much simpler.

1 minute ago, Steve in Allentown PA said:

I don't do 9mm extractors but there are two schools of thought on how to fit them.  Either will work.  The first way is to fit them exactly as I described for .45 extractors.  The other way is to use the edge of the claw as the contact point with the case to provide pressure against the case instead using of the tensioning wall as the contact point to provide the pressure.

I know some high end pistolsmiths who fit them the first way.  This is the more difficult option

I suspect most folks fit them using the second method which is much simpler.

Thank you.

I've only done them the second way.  I have a "grave yard" of extractors that maybe I'll try to fit the first way and see how it works.