Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird noise with Powder Measure

I assume that you haven't changed calibers lately? My powder measure was once making a double clunk, like yours. Turns out I didn't have the failsafe rod tight enough. If it's not tight enough, it lets part of the mechanism hit the powder measure, making the clunk that you hear.

I assume that you haven't changed calibers lately? My powder measure was once making a double clunk, like yours. Turns out I didn't have the failsafe rod tight enough. If it's not tight enough, it lets part of the mechanism hit the powder measure, making the clunk that you hear.

Came here to say the same. You’ll notice that the failsafe wont pull it down far enough if it’s too loose, and that’s where you get the second clunk. You’ll notice it on the upstroke if you go slow and see exactly where it’s happening. Try tightening it up a little and see if that doesn’t fix it for you.

Personally, I don’t mind a slight clunk when it resets, because it’s lets me know that’s it’s working properly. It helps me create a rhythm on my stroke as well so that I’m running the press pretty consistently.