Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

34g5 - Tarran Guide rod w/ 14# wolff question w/ DPP mounted.

ArrDave

So the lock up when in battery with the 14# spring seems really, really loose.  Doing the recoil spring test - it doesn't go back into battery with the Taran Rod / 14#/ DPP mounted.  I went back to the OEM - it passes the recoil spring test.  Right now I'm running the OEM striker spring. 

- Would 4.5# striker spring help?  I have some ghost ones on hand - is there one brand that's better than another?

- how important is it that the gun passes the recoil test?

- I don't believe accuracy was affected in a major way - though I didn't do any group shooting beyond zeroing and I was getting results consistent with my skill level with the taran rod.

- Does someone have a G34g5 w/ a dot w/ the taran rod and GM trigger kit - can you confirm it passes the RSA test?

Edited by ArrDave

I apologize for the question, but what is the recoil spring test? I'm fairly new shooting a G34 and have just started experimenting with springs. 

Point unloaded gun at ceiling - pull trigger , rack slide while keeping trigger pinned to rear. If it goes into battery without you releasing the trigger then you pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was another thread about this recently.  I recall the poster there was having problems with an 11 pound spring.  Our Gen 3 34's run with an 11 pound spring.  When we got Gen 5 34's it took a 13# ISMI spring to pass the recoil spring test and we are running TTI Grandmaster kits in both generation of 34's.  On the other thread, another poster said the Gen 5 recoil springs guide rods are longer so the spring is under less tension when not compressed.  So I just compared a Gen 3 34,  a Gen 4 35, and a Gen 5 34 RSA.  The Gen 3 is the shortest, the Gen 4 was a little longer, and the Gen 5 is about 0.25" longer (by eye).  We are running 13# ISMI springs in ours with the TTI kits and no problems, so maybe 15# for you?

Our Gen 5 34 that has a Cerakoted slide had a break in period and goes into battery less freely than the non Cerakoted 34.  Not sure if your has been Cerakoted but thought I would throw that out there.

45 minutes ago, 12glocks said:

There was another thread about this recently.  I recall the poster there was having problems with an 11 pound spring.  Our Gen 3 34's run with an 11 pound spring.  When we got Gen 5 34's it took a 13# ISMI spring to pass the recoil spring test and we are running TTI Grandmaster kits in both generation of 34's.  On the other thread, another poster said the Gen 5 recoil springs guide rods are longer so the spring is under less tension when not compressed.  So I just compared a Gen 3 34,  a Gen 4 35, and a Gen 5 34 RSA.  The Gen 3 is the shortest, the Gen 4 was a little longer, and the Gen 5 is about 0.25" longer (by eye).  We are running 13# ISMI springs in ours with the TTI kits and no problems, so maybe 15# for you?

Our Gen 5 34 that has a Cerakoted slide had a break in period and goes into battery less freely than the non Cerakoted 34.  Not sure if your has been Cerakoted but thought I would throw that out there.

This ^. The gen 5 guide rod are longer and don’t preload as much if using Wolff springs. I had the TTI gen 5 stainless guide rod and ran Wolff spring but recently cut down an older extended tungsten guide rod I had and ran it with 13# ismi flat wire and much better now.