Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1100 Function Check

tpe187

Hello all,

Just did an EZ loader install, but won't be able to get to the range for a little bit. My question is that after installing and loading some dummy rounds, when I load one and then rack the bolt back it ejects the round, but doesn't load the next one. The round is pushed back on the lifter but doesn't load. I know that the incoming round must contact the lifter latch to activate it and make it raise. When I manually cycle it just locks back. Does something need to be adjusted, or is this normal.

Second question: I have the 1100 CM and after reading Pat Sweeneys book a little, he mentions using a 3" lifter. Is this necessary on the CM or is it a good modification. Not sure what the CM comes with.

Third, When I had the lifter off I bent the catch leg on the lifter slightly while trying to file. What is the proper location of the leg? Should it be slightly to the side of the lifter latch, but not contact it, or should it just slightly touch it, or actually be in front of the latch.

Wish I could get to the range to figure it out. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Tom

Hammer must be cocked to allow rounds to be loaded into the mag tube. Not the issue here.

If the bolt is back the hammer is cocked. Hammer can only be down if bolt is closed. Also not an issue here.

Dropping the hammer does trip the interupter latch. Cycling the bolt by hand will also trip the latch about the time the bolt unlocks from the barrel. Still not an issue.

I do not know if the 1100 CM has the 3" lifter or not, but you can find out by pulling the trigger group from the reciever and looking at the shell lifter.

The 3" lifter has a little finger cut and bent from the main shell lifter stamping that should catch the carrier latch and hold it back when the carrier latch is pushed back enough to unlock the lifter. The carrier latch is plated steel and is the part that the holds the shell lifter from coming up (and latches the gun open).

How this works: When the action bars and bolt are locked open (happens every shot), the carrier latch holds it open. As the action bars go towards the open position, they open the shell latch and allow the next shell in the magazine to start aft. When the shell gets to the back end of its travel, it hits the carrier latch, unlocking the action bars and bolt, and everything closes. This works fine most of the time when shooting the gun, and millions of M1100's have been built and run fine this way.

Sometimes the action bars and bolt are bouncing around and the latch opens and then closes before the action can actually get past the latch. Enter the 3" carrier with the little finger to keep the carrier latch locked back until the shell lifter moves. It has the nice feature of allowing you to rack the gun manually and then it will close immediately if another round was waiting in the magazine... Sound like what you had prior to installing the EZ Loader? Without that feature, it will lock open and you will have to hit the Loader to get it to close.

So, if you have the little arm (Sweeny has photos and talks about adjusting it in his book) and you bent this arm while fitting the EZ Loader, then you have to readjust it to get it working again. Sweeny's book does have this detail...

Billski

Yep,

Mine has the little finger that protrudes out from the lifter. Right now it is not contacting the catch, so I will adjust it slightly. I missed that part in Sweeney's book. What page does it describe adjusting this. Thanks for the input

Sweeney's book covers the lifter starting on page 244 and page 246 is where he describes adjusting things.

I got Sweeney's Shotgun book and Pistol book through Border's online service, but I think that they are available through some of the catalog houses for gun stuff too.

He has specific directions for disassembly/assembly on many shot guns, a whole chapter on each of the Rem M870, Rem M1100/1187, Browning 05/Rem M11, Mossberg 500, Win M1897, and Practical Shooting. The man has owned speed records for shotgun on pins and the like and is an active USPSA shooter. A good book to have...

Billski

Update,

I adjusted the leg and then tried it out with some dummy rounds. Seems to work just fine now. Thanks for all the help. I hope to get to the range this week to make sure she is running just right. The pictures in the book helped out a lot.

Tom