Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.4" or 6" bull barrel in 5" STI slide

vgdvc

So the unexpected snow has lead to a cancellation of the local 2gun match this weekend which leads to the mind pondering on new projects (yep- uh oh!)

Has anyone had success or experience with fitting and using a 5.4" or 6" bull barrel in a 5" slide. I'm working with an STI Edge and would like to see the benefits of the longer barrel (velocity increase, forward non recipoicating mass, etc.) With out increasing slide weight. I realize I am not increasing the sight radius however this could be a benefit in some cases on shorter courses of fire without long-range shots. Input would be appreciated as if I am able to do such a project it will help determine which direction I go when I spec out a custom limited gun.( This is a reason I'm not worried about the "Frankengun" look when all is said and done LOL) Thanks

Most 6" bull barrels cannot be used in a 5" slide.  You have to be sure the 'bull' section extend abck 1.25" or so from the muzzle.  Brownell's sells one that looks like it might work.  BTW, you will increase reciprocating mass by a lot with a 6" bull barrel.

Another approach would be to use a Clark Custom 6" bushing barrel.  They work in a 5" slide.

Why not lighten a 6" slide so it has the same weight as the 5" slide? Like the fat free Benny Hills?

Then you get sight radius, you can fit the barrel to the slide without getting weird, and you can always swap back to your 5" top end with no issues.

Zzt, thank you for the input I realize the barrel does have its regular rearward and forward movement for lockup but my thought was most of the weight will be relatively stationary compared to something reciprocating like a slide. The Clark option would be interesting. I will definitely have to contact them for details, thanks.

Aiden, thanks for the reply. Yes what you propose is definitely a more long-term and overall clean/professional and result but I didn't want to put too much money into this particular gun as I'm trying to discover how I would want a custom from ground up limited gun built. I'm figuring if I can get the barrel and installation and run it for a while to see if I like that length, extra front weight,recoil impulse with the same weight of a regular slide that would help put me into the direction build when I go to order.