Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa Scoring

JP.308

I just shot my first IDPA match in Ripon, WI on Saturday. It was a blast!!! However I do have a few questions...

1- I have an XD40 and they put me in the ESP Division. Was it the caliber or the action of the XD that places it there?

2- If you shoot in a different classification than someone else, will there scores be figured out the same way as yours or do they adjust something somehow? (For example say that a Novice shot a 110 and a Sharpshooter also shot a 110 on the same match. Does this mean that they both shot equal or does it mean that the sharpshooter since being in a higher classification had his score calculated differently than the Novice.) If so than what is the formula - I didn't find anything in the rule book.

3- If I shoot a XD40 and another contestant shoots a XD9 and we're both in the same classification then will he get his score adjusted because he shoots a lower claiber? (I thought I read this somewhere, but I can't remember for sure.)

Thanks,

Jp

Mark answered all of your questions, I will just elaborate some.

First congrats on the Ripon match, bunch of good guys there.

#1, is because Springfield Armory advertises the XD as a single action gun so they were placed in ESP. Glocks are "safe action" by marketing terms and they shoot in production along with firearms that shoot the first shot double action.

#2,Everyone is scored Vickers scoring or time + penalties that are added to your time as time. Everything is converted to time in IDPA. One point equals 1/2 sec etc. Scores are not adjusted to different divisions.

#3, IDPA makes no distinction between major and minor scoring like USPSA (IPSC). There are power floors for different divisions, but scoring itself is straight forward.

Since I know that you are new at the game you might not know that there is a match this weekend in Racine. This was in my email when I came home this morning:

"RACINE IDPA – August 20th MATCH

The next match of Racine IDPA is coming up this Saturday, August 20, 2005. All shooters new and old are invited. The match is being held outdoors at Schultz’s Gun Club. Directions can be found on http://www.schultzgunclub.com/directions.html or on our web site at http://www.racineidpa.com."

Another opportunity to play is present - GO HAVE FUN!

Rick

Or if you want to check out USPSA, you can drive to Oconomowoc Sportsmans Club on Sunday for their IPSC / USPSA match. Nothing against IDPA, but if you are new to the shooting sports you might want to check out all the different sports. They are both fun, and trigger time is always good.

Or if you want to check out USPSA, you can drive to Oconomowoc Sportsmans Club on Sunday for their IPSC / USPSA match. Nothing against IDPA, but if you are new to the shooting sports you might want to check out all the different sports. They are both fun, and trigger time is always good.

JP - If you had a hard time figuring out IDPA scoring, wait until you try USPSA. :D

I might actually get classified in USPSA this weekend (all classifier match at the local club).

JP - If you had a hard time figuring out IDPA scoring, wait until you try USPSA. :D

Ain't that the truth!

I've written scoring software for IDPA (which is what Ripon uses, BTW) and was the scorekeeper for the local USPSA club for a year and a half as well as for our IDPA club for 2 years.

But with USPSA, I felt totally like a semi-trained monkey at the keyboard. I knew what buttons to push to input scores and produce results, but had no clue how they do their calculations. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

(And NO... please don't try to explain it to me, anybody! :D )

Jane

JP, the scoring in USPSA is more complicated. If you want to see how it works look at this link: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...4483&hl=scoring

Trigger is right on though. You had a chance to shoot an IDPA match might as well try a USPSA match. Your XD shoots in Production division, you shoot with 10 rounds, just like IDPA. Be safe and go get 'em. Tell the Range Officer (remember RO in USPSA and SO -Safety Officer in IDPA) that you have never shot USPSA before and they will help you through. Enjoy!

Sorry JP, had to rethink my division recomendation for you. Since you are shooting a .40, limited 10 is your division since you will get credit for shooting major power factor. Production is minor scoring no matter what you shoot, so in this game you do get credit for your .40 vs. a 9mm as an example. Sorry, for the quick answer before.

Thanks to all!

The only reason I asked if they adjusted the scores to your classification is that the club President scored a 109.23 and my brother who hasn't shot IDPA before and hasn't shot handguns for a long time scored 113. Maybe the club president was just having one of those days. Anyway, thanks for the answers.

One more question. If you have a failure to neutralize and don't even have any bullets thru the down 3 zone, do you get 5 point off for the FTN + 2x5 points off for each miss?

Thanks

Jp

One more question.  If you have a failure to neutralize and don't even have any bullets thru the down 3 zone, do you get 5 point off for the FTN + 2x5 points off for each miss?

Thanks

Jp

Clay1 is correct - only one FTN per target, or one nonthreat per target regardless of how many holes you put into a particular nonthreat.

But as for your question - Yes, the 5 second FTN penalty plus 5 points off for each bullet that missed the target altogether. If you had one hole in the down 3 and one mike, you'd be down 8 points plus the 5 second FTN.

Jane

One more question. If you have a failure to neutralize and don't even have any bullets thru the down 3 zone, do you get 5 point off for the FTN + 2x5 points off for each miss?

Misses are 5 points down each. An FTN penalty is 5 seconds and is assigned per target (not per shot). Therefore a totally missed target that has 2 required shots is 5 points down for each miss. Each point is worth 0.50 seconds so 10 points down equals 5 seconds. As mentioned there is a 5 second penalty for the FTN. That totals up to 10 seconds which is why it is something you really don't want to do. :)

The simple IDPA scoring system is one of the big plusses of the sport for new shooters. It makes it really easy for competitors to keep track of their scores as the match progresses and easily compare progress with others.

Rev chuck, I'm trying to put a face with the internet screen name.  Have you been wearing tape on your thumb at some of the matches lately?

Nope - I'm a little far from you (SW Louisiana) to be shooting in your local matches. ;) No bandages. Besides, I haven't shot a match since June due to being gone for the Army. Maybe tomorrow night in Orange, TX.

Tell your brother I said congratulations on a good score but that everyone needs to remember that being elected President of a shooting club typically says way more about your ability to handle mundane details and organize paperwork than it does about your shooting skill.

John

SHEPHERD

...My nervousness exists on several levels. Number 1 -- and this is in no particular order -- I haven't done this in a pretty long time. Number 2: Any expectations you might have, due to the fact that I'm, you know...

SYDNEY

The most powerful man in the world?

SHEPHERD

Exactly, thank you. Just so you remember that's a political distinction that comes with the office. I mean, if Eisenhower were here instead of me he'd be dead by now.

I shoot both IDPA and USPSA. I think I have a simple way to explain the scoring of each one.

Your score for an IDPA stage is your time to shoot that stage. Penalties and dropped points work as modifiers which are added to your time. Each point dropped is a half-second, which makes it easy to compute your net score and compare it to others, without a mainframe computer.

Your score for an IDPA match is your adjusted time for each stage, added together.

Your score for a USPSA stage is your "hit factor," which means points scored per second. Penalties are subtracted from your points, which reduces your hit factor. Calculating your score requires a little math, so it's hard to compare results at the range.

Your score for a USPSA match is harder to compute. For each stage you earn "stage points," and your match score is the total number of stage points you earn. The winner of each stage receives the total number of points available on the stage. The non-winners on that stage get a percentage of the stage points based on their percentage of the stage winner's hit factor.

I had to figure this all out because I wanted to understand why my score at Area 4 was what it was. I have spreadsheets which will calculate scores in both USPSA and IDPA, if you're interested.

Rev Chuck, I guess I should read the "From" line once in a while.

Genghis: "I have spreadsheets which will calculate scores in both USPSA and IDPA" Sometimes it seems like we need a mainframe to figure this stuff out doesn't it?

Rick,

You weren't in Ripon on Saturday were you?

It was pretty cool, because out of around 32 people there were 6-8 new to IDPA including myself and my brother. Excellent weather, and a great match, I really enjoyed it. Thanks again for encouraging me to shoot and not just watch. I will be leaving next week for Greenville, SC and I am going to check into IDPA down there.

Thanks again,

Jp

One point not previously covered is that ESP ammo power factor is 125,000. If you are shooting ammo at factory velocities, you are taking a much bigger hit in recoil recovery time than you have to. If you handload, you can load to much lower velocities and recoil than what factory ammo gives, and will actually recoil slightly less than 9 mm.

If you do handload, test both the ammo and the gun. Make sure that you have 30-50 ft/sec more than you need and that your gun is reliable with that ammo. You might need a lighter spring to be reliable with that ammo, but the 9mm spring from the factory may do it. There are gobs of forum threads on these topics for you to look at on this topic.

Bullet Wt Factory Vel IDPA ESP Floor

155 1205 806

165 1150 758

180 1015 694

Go to a USPSA match, and they give you credit for the extra recoil with Major scoring, or shoot downloaded ammo and take Minor scoring. Cross training between the two games is good for you.

Billski

The only reason I asked if they adjusted the scores to your classification is that the club President scored a 109.23 and my brother who hasn't shot IDPA before and hasn't shot handguns for a long time scored 113.  Maybe the club president was just having one of those days.  Anyway, thanks for the answers.

As someone else mentioned, the club president may or may not be the greatest shot around.

You can check the results from the Wisconsin state championship in which he competed, and get an idea of his skill level versus a larger pool of shooters...

Jane