Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor Freelance 170mm extension for Tanfoglio on Caspian

WhiteDingo

Thought that I would share my experience with the new TF 170 extension on my 9 Major Caspian open gun with the new style 21rd magazines.

The mag would hold 28 (115 HAP loaded to 1.170) using a Gram's 13 coil follower kit on a tuned tube, but the last couple rounds were sticking or very tight; the OAL in the extension is obviously not designed for cartridges loaded this long. I ended up sticking it in the mill and taking .015" off the rear wall of the pocket (an extra length 1/4" endmill was used). Clearances the cartridges fine now. If you're using a longer OAL, you'll need more removed; if loading shorter than 1.170 you'll likely be fine.

Lockup in the frame was a little iffy with the extension installed; it was impacting the frame on the forward half of the extension. Couple of quick cuts with a bastard file on the leading edges of the bevel and voila! 

Initial testing of the magazine, only 100 rounds, was excellent. No issues on the transition between extension and magazine, no hangups on cartridge presentation.

kX4RIbk.jpg

the length (front to back ) issue would be expected as they are made to fit up with the new Tanfoglio/Mec Gar 9mm magazines with the spacer in the back.  that said the modifications needed to make a tango mag fit a Caspian are simple and only take a minute with a dremmel 

I have several of their 140 pads on modified Tanfoglio/Mec Gar tubes and they work great but all needed material removed from the same location you showed to fit in my Caspians. they do fit my Tanfoglios  without the need to file that area. the 140s with Grams guts hold 23 reloadable  and have been extremely reliable. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2018 at 3:35 PM, WhiteDingo said:

Thought that I would share my experience with the new TF 170 extension on my 9 Major Caspian open gun with the new style 21rd magazines.

The mag would hold 28 (115 HAP loaded to 1.170) using a Gram's 13 coil follower kit on a tuned tube, but the last couple rounds were sticking or very tight; the OAL in the extension is obviously not designed for cartridges loaded this long. I ended up sticking it in the mill and taking .015" off the rear wall of the pocket (an extra length 1/4" endmill was used). Clearances the cartridges fine now. If you're using a longer OAL, you'll need more removed; if loading shorter than 1.170 you'll likely be fine.

Lockup in the frame was a little iffy with the extension installed; it was impacting the frame on the forward half of the extension. Couple of quick cuts with a bastard file on the leading edges of the bevel and voila! 

Initial testing of the magazine, only 100 rounds, was excellent. No issues on the transition between extension and magazine, no hangups on cartridge presentation.

kX4RIbk.jpg

When you say Caspian open gun, you mean their high cap frame?

And when you say tanfo extensions, these are going on mag bodies from Caspian, though, right?

Yes, it's a Caspian/Foster High Capacity frame, using the new production Caspian(MecGar OEM I believe) magazines that came with the silver tool-less extensions.

The 170mm magazine has now been through 2 monster matches and 3 locals, running flawlessly

1 minute ago, WhiteDingo said:

Yes, it's a Caspian/Foster High Capacity frame, using the new production Caspian(MecGar OEM I believe) magazines that came with the silver tool-less extensions.

The 170mm magazine has now been through 2 monster matches and 3 locals, running flawlessly

That's really promising since I had thought that the main drawback to the Caspian hi cap was that it was so mag-troubled.

Do you know if you can buy the tubes direct from MecGar?

I don't know if they have them available anymore. Caspian doesn't even have them available; last I called they directed me to MBX or another place that might have old stock of the Italian mags left.

That being said, Tanfo magazines can be modified to match the top profile if the Caspian and will work, as was pointed by MikeBurgess