Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking About Reloading...

E53X5

Clearly you need an AC in the garage  :)  I did that earlier this year and it's been an excellent investment, even though I took over a bedroom to reload in.

You know, that's something I've been thinking about, too. I do spend a lot of time in the garage, so it would definitely be a good thing to have. Unfortunately, it brings my "reloading start up" price up considerably. :( Did you go with a portable unit, or just a "line" off of the main unit?

Mine was a 10K BTU window-unit (about $150 after rebate) that I made fit the sliding window in my garage via some extra 2x4 framing. The portable AC units are very nice, but 3x the cash and the sliding-window versions aren't much less.

Mine was a 10K BTU window-unit (about $150 after rebate) that I made fit the sliding window in my garage via some extra 2x4 framing.  The portable AC units are very nice, but 3x the cash and the sliding-window versions aren't much less.

Thanks. I'll check it out. Sounds like it may be a good investment that won't break the bank.

I've load on all four Dillon presses - though not long enough on an SDB or 1050 to really encounter issues. I had more instances of "almost double" on the 650 than the 550. The reason is - the 650 is more complicated, and with the auto-index, if something goes wacky, you have to keep the handle mostly down to correct things without having to basically trash most of the stuff on the shell plate, or do funky things to keep them straight. In the process of righting that issue, one can easily double charge a case. The 550, on the other hand, is easy to manage if there's a problem...

That's just my experience :) I simply made a strong habit of grabbing a bullet while I moved the handle down, and place the bullet on the expanded, powder filled case in station 2 as soon as possible on the upstroke of the handle. Then I index the shellplate. This becomes one smooth motion with practice.

If I had my druthers, it'd be 1050 all the way, though. :) I would own any of the Dillon presses. I'm planning on buying a 550 soon - eventual upgrade to 1050, with any luck...

Another advantage of the AC in the garage is that if properly sized it will keep the humidity down. Low humidity means less rust on press and guns. Also helps keep the power dry.

Not to mention how much more comfortable you will be. :D:D:D

FWIW

dj