Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Compensator ?

Revofan

38 minutes ago, Nimitz said:

the fact that the comp is milled into the barrel still makes it longer and heavier than it would be without one ....

My personal best (classification ) times in RFPO continue to drop since I've removed my Comp so I could argue that I'm getting faster without it .... In the year since removing it I've had 7 new personal bests across 5 different stages .... and while that is certainly the end result the real reason is not "no Comp" per say, but the fact that the overall balance of the gun is now very different - the gun was noticeably (to me at least ) nose heavy with a 5.5" TacSol barrel and Comp which in turns affects both sight picture an transitions.  Removing teh Comp eliminated this issue.  There is also simply is not enough recoil in a 22lr round for a Comp to make a significant difference in how flat the rim fire pistol shoots...  grip strength is way more important than  a Comp for keeping the gun shooting flat.  My measured grip strength in my weak hand is 120#s and 130# in my strong hand which easily keeps the gun flat without any need for a Comp or all the 'overhead' which comes with it.

If it's working for you that's great but I'd never consider adding a Comp back to a rim fire gun ...

My comp is milled into a standard 5.5 inch slab side Buckmark barrel so the barrel is not longer nor heavier, it would actually be marginally lighter  because of the removed material.  The balance of the comped gun is identical to the uncomped gun.  When I first built the comped Buckmark, I weighed the milled barrel and a stock barrel, but I don't remember the exact numbers but it was less than half an oz IIRC, but now that I think about it both barrels probably weigh about the same because the comp is due to be cleaned.  If there wasn't a measurable difference in performance, cleaning the lead out of a rimfire comp would be reason enough to go comp-less!  Just in case nobody gets it, I say this in jest!

• 3 weeks later...

It definitely is fun to shoot and it’s fun to beat the bottom feeders with a wheelie 

started as a used 4” s&w 617

sent it to Bruce’s bc armory to have a tacsol barrel installed , cylinder lightened , jeweled and a trigger job 

then installed a revo gear cylinder release 

and had hogue custom make me a blue big butt grip 

ive sense installed a Cmore rts2 and an allchin comp 

its one of those guns when you pull it out of the stage bag people say what the heck is that  lol ? 

85B7C2CC-BC6D-4417-B52E-DDDBB3717AD1.jpeg