Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Compensator ?

Revofan

I have an old tacsol Comp on my pistol the one with all the tiny holes and it’s a pain to clean 

have a similar one on my rfro

I was looking at the Alchin Comp just has two giant ports and looks easy to clean I would like to try it 

my questions are 

1. Will it clock rite ? Or will I need additional washers ?

2. Has anyone made the swap on a pistol or rifle and how do they like it or did you even notice a difference?

All of the large port comps lead up with any 22LR ammo.  It's just something you learn to live with.  The Alchin come with a crush washer, so it will clock.  However it may not stay clocked.  A better bet is a Maddmax Precision Tactical comp.  They always clock perfectly after adjustment.

31 minutes ago, zzt said:

All of the large port comps lead up with any 22LR ammo.  It's just something you learn to live with.  The Alchin come with a crush washer, so it will clock.  However it may not stay clocked.  A better bet is a Maddmax Precision Tactical comp.  They always clock perfectly after adjustment.

I want to get away from the small ports on a Comp so all the maddmacs seem just like what I have want Big ports so I can clean it out easier 

I had an Allchin comp.  It worked, and it was an absolute PITA to clean because the lead just stuck right to the rounded aluminum port.  I’m using a Pace Setting Design comp now and it’s super easy to keep clean because it is coated with something the lead doesn’t like to stick to as well, and the lead also tends to fall off it when it shrinks after it cools down.  Yes, I still have to clean it, but it’s way easier than the Allchin.  And it’s good looking.  If interested let me know, and I can get you the PSD contact info.  

I have the Allchin comp on my Mark III.  I was remiss at cleaning my comp but finally decided to get the lead out.   It was easier to pick it out of the Allchin then a number of other comps I've tried. I found that soaking it in MPro-7 overnight helped loosen the carbon and made using a brass pick easier.

4 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I had an Allchin comp.  It worked, and it was an absolute PITA to clean because the lead just stuck right to the rounded aluminum port.  I’m using a Pace Setting Design comp now and it’s super easy to keep clean because it is coated with something the lead doesn’t like to stick to as well, and the lead also tends to fall off it when it shrinks after it cools down.  Yes, I still have to clean it, but it’s way easier than the Allchin.  And it’s good looking.  If interested let me know, and I can get you the PSD contact info.  

Can you post a pic of it ?

take the Comp off your rimfire pistol/rifle .... they are not needed, (I did extensive testing to prove this to myself) and as you noted are a pain to clean & do affect accuracy if you don't clean them regularly.  Neither my RFPO or RFRO have comps on them ...

I'm curious if anyone knows if you (on a rimfire pistol) drill out the hole in the comp, just make it bigger, would it give you a louder bang and not have any negative effects?

I ream the innards all the time with a drill bit but was thinking about enlarging the exit hole. Anyone see a problem with that?

8 hours ago, firewood said:

I'm curious if anyone knows if you (on a rimfire pistol) drill out the hole in the comp, just make it bigger, would it give you a louder bang and not have any negative effects?

I ream the innards all the time with a drill bit but was thinking about enlarging the exit hole. Anyone see a problem with that?

Just an unscientific guess, but I think it wouldn’t hurt performance at all on a rifle if you srilled ot out, either as a muzzle brake or sound amplifier.  For a pistol, I’d experiment with it on and off and measure results.  If it shoots no different without the comp, then drill it... or just leave it off completely.   I think an uncomp’d pistol would be picked up by the timer just fine.  

For a rifle, the comp is extremely helpful for getting picked up by the timer.  If you’re using a CED7000 or similarly sensitive timer, it’s a nonissue, but as a competitor I can’t pick and choose what timer the RO decides to use.  If not for that aspect, a rimfire rifle comp is unnecessary weight and I wouldn’t use one.  If you’ve ever had to reshoot and reshoot and reshoot because the timer wouldn’t pick up the shots, though, you’d undestand why I suck it up and run the comp.  Reshoots affect the mental game worse than the weight of the comp affects the swing.  

3 hours ago, IowaNewbie said:

Regarding comp performance (or lack of) on rimfires, there's a ton of opinions and I don't want to debate here, but I like this video from TK.

This is a great example of a bad "scientific" test. It only "proves" that if you hang more weight on the end of the barrel you'll get less muzzle rise. IF you want to see what the comp does, or doesn't do, try this "test" with the comp "clocked" normally, ports up, and then with the comp rotated 180 deg. Ports down. Muzzle weight will be the same so you'll see the ports' effect, or lack of effect. A comp with effective porting is also pretty amusing to actually shoot (no ransom rest for this) with the comp rotated 90 degrees so it pushes the muzzle sideways...

5 hours ago, Tom E said:

This is a great example of a bad "scientific" test. It only "proves" that if you hang more weight on the end of the barrel you'll get less muzzle rise. IF you want to see what the comp does, or doesn't do, try this "test" with the comp "clocked" normally, ports up, and then with the comp rotated 180 deg. Ports down. Muzzle weight will be the same so you'll see the ports' effect, or lack of effect. 

True, if this was done in an actual science lab, they would have done a third test with the muzzle brake replaced with a simple weight in place of the brake to rule out weight as being the determining factor in the performance increase.  And they would have fired all three way more times for a valid sample size.  I’m kinda sad that they didn’t do this, actually.  It would have been an interesting data point.  

Edited by jkrispies

Think you guys putting far too much thought into a topic where everyone knows the comp is simply not to hear, “sorry man, the timer didn’t pick up, need to reshoot.”  It’s for noise and noise alone. The Tandemkross video is marketing to sell a product making the point the product reduces recoil, whether due to gas exit or weight.  Obviously this will be subjective to each shooter.  As to the OP question, they all clock correctly and Alchin makes some amazing products.  Have his 15-22 specific comp on my rifle and have never heard needing a reshoot cause of no timer pick up since.

Edited by Hammer002

Think you guys putting far too much thought into a topic where everyone knows the comp is simply not to hear, “sorry man, the timer didn’t pick up, need to reshoot.”  It’s for noise and noise alone.

Amen. As an RO I hate telling a competitor I didn’t get the time.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:51 AM, Nimitz said:

take the Comp off your rimfire pistol/rifle .... they are not needed, (I did extensive testing to prove this to myself) and as you noted are a pain to clean & do affect accuracy if you don't clean them regularly.  Neither my RFPO or RFRO have comps on them ...

I'll have to disagree with you on muzzle brakes on rimfire pistols.  I have a 2 port comp milled into a steel 5 inch slab side Buckmark barrel on one pistol and an identical Buckmark sans comp. ie same barrel, no comp milled into it.  I have tested both extensively, including switching barrels back and forth between frames, over many practice sessions and matches.  I am several seconds faster over the course of the match with the comp.  It isn't much faster per string, but over 39 31 strings, it adds up.  Since the muzzle brake is milled into the barrel, the difference isn't from hanging a weight (brake) on the end of the barrel.

I will agree with you on the rimfire rifle, I did much the same with a pair of 10/22's, both with Tactical Solutions barrels.  One threaded with an Alchin muzzle brake and one unthreaded barrel.  No real difference between them other than one is louder than the other.

Edited by Ming the Merciless
DOH, forgot about the throw away string

6 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

I'll have to disagree with you on muzzle brakes on rimfire pistols.  .....

I will agree with you on the rimfire rifle, I did much the same with a pair of 10/22's, both with Tactical Solutions barrels.  One threaded with an Alchin muzzle brake and one unthreaded barrel.  No real difference between them other than one is louder than the other.

Yep. My rimfire rifles have comps just so the timer can better hear them.There's not enough gas pressure/volume left at the end of a 16" barrel for a comp to work. On a 4"ish pistol barrel it's different. With Hi-velocity ammo you do have enough gas pressure/volume for a comp to do something. Lotsa comps out there that do nothing but add weight and look cool. Some actually put the available gas pressure/volume to work. Easiest "test" is to shoot the gun with the comp clocked normally, then rotated 180 degrees. If your comp actually works the difference is obvious. No hi-speed photography required. If you can't notice a difference you have a comp that's just a barrel weight.  

• 2 weeks later...

the fact that the comp is milled into the barrel still makes it longer and heavier than it would be without one ....

My personal best (classification ) times in RFPO continue to drop since I've removed my Comp so I could argue that I'm getting faster without it .... In the year since removing it I've had 7 new personal bests across 5 different stages .... and while that is certainly the end result the real reason is not "no Comp" per say, but the fact that the overall balance of the gun is now very different - the gun was noticeably (to me at least ) nose heavy with a 5.5" TacSol barrel and Comp which in turns affects both sight picture an transitions.  Removing teh Comp eliminated this issue.  There is also simply is not enough recoil in a 22lr round for a Comp to make a significant difference in how flat the rim fire pistol shoots...  grip strength is way more important than  a Comp for keeping the gun shooting flat.  My measured grip strength in my weak hand is 120#s and 130# in my strong hand which easily keeps the gun flat without any need for a Comp or all the 'overhead' which comes with it.

If it's working for you that's great but I'd never consider adding a Comp back to a rim fire gun ...