Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Reloading 10mm

camaross400

I am new to reloading 10mm. I currently load 5.56, 45ACP and 9mm and I am now getting ready to load 10mm for my converted Glock 21. What bullets do you buy for the range and hunting? What powder do you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the years, I have tested bullets from 135 gr to 220 gr and many different powders from WSF to #9.

I've settled on 180 gr (coated lead, Star JHP or Xtreme HP's) loaded with 10.4 gr of Blue Dot for practice.  This is by far the most accurate load tested and I would not be afraid to use it for hunting when topped with Hornadys XTP.  This load typically chronographs around 1150-1200 f.p.s. depending on barrel length, with the only real drawback being the muzzle flash. 

My hunting load is:

New Starline brass

Hornady 180 gr XTP

14.4 gr Accurate #9

CCI #350 LPM primer

OAL 1.250

This load typically Chronographs in the low 1200 f.p.s. range and is almost as accurate as the Blue Dot load without the massive muzzle flash.  However, it is a compressed load and I had to make a custom seater plug to seat the bullet without deforming it.

Other powders to consider are:

800X  Must be hand weighed but good velocity & accuracy

Longshot  Great velocity (over 1300 f.p.s. at max loads) but poor accuracy.

Before starting any of your testing, I would strongly recommend getting a full length guide rod from Loan Wolf and upping your recoil spring weight to 20-24 pounds to help tame any premature unlocking of the slide & barrel.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Over the years, I have tested bullets from 135 gr to 220 gr and many different powders from WSF to #9.
I've settled on 180 gr (coated lead, Star JHP or Xtreme HP's) loaded with 10.4 gr of Blue Dot for practice.  This is by far the most accurate load tested and I would not be afraid to use it for hunting when topped with Hornadys XTP.  This load typically chronographs around 1150-1200 f.p.s. depending on barrel length, with the only real drawback being the muzzle flash. 

My hunting load is:
New Starline brass
Hornady 180 gr XTP
14.4 gr Accurate #9
CCI #350 LPM primer
OAL 1.250

This load typically Chronographs in the low 1200 f.p.s. range and is almost as accurate as the Blue Dot load without the massive muzzle flash.  However, it is a compressed load and I had to make a custom seater plug to seat the bullet without deforming it.

Other powders to consider are:
800X  Must be hand weighed but good velocity & accuracy
Longshot  Great velocity (over 1300 f.p.s. at max loads) but poor accuracy.

Before starting any of your testing, I would strongly recommend getting a full length guide rod from Loan Wolf and upping your recoil spring weight to 20-24 pounds to help tame any premature unlocking of the slide & barrel.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. This is great info. I did order a 20lb recoil spring after watching Mrgunsngear on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/19/2018 at 5:27 PM, Bill Schwab said:

Any good loads for 10mm with Nosler 135 JHP?

Power Pistol seemed to work best with the lighter bullets.  I don't remember the exact data.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

I"ve been hand loading a bunch of 10mm lately.  Currently been loading 10gr Power Pistol with Xtreme 165 RNFP.  New Starline brass.   Shooting out of Glock 40 with Lone wolf barrel 6.5" barrel.  Getting a high of 1449 fps.     My G29 with bar-sto stock length barrel gave me a high of 1287.   I also load heavier bullets but this load is my favorite.   

I also have found out that, for me, bullet profile will effect how the gun feeds.   Try to stay with round nose bullets.  Truncated cone shaped bullets had trouble feeding in both my hand guns.  However feed good in 10mm Vector.

• 2 months later...