Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD9-Tactical, are 22,000 rounds enough competition?

Max It

Hi Ya, after 22,000 I notice widening target spreads when indoors. However I used this gun extensively for steel matches outdoor. Is it time to retire it?

Or a new barrel?

i had sent it to SA a while ago. All they said was it was fine: did they change anything like striker springs? I don't know.

Just to complicate it all I installed https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/truglo/ trijicon fibre optics after the target sights failed from age.

oh, and my age now? super senior.

did i answer my own questions?

Edited by Max It

Outdoor targets were almost all steel. THey go ding when hit.
I need to take this bad boy to a USPSA match where we have a mix of steel and paper.
In our informal indoor matches one needs bullseye precision. I guess that’s what made me doubt the XD.
I’m glad you asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

The choices for barrels for the tactical is shrinking.  I replaced mine a year ago and I had limited choices.  I was able to find a threaded Storm Lake barrel on clearance at Midway for a good price but they are gone now.

My original barrel had about 12k on it and then something happened to it.  It started keyholing bad with almost every type of ammo I put through it (reloads, factory and reman).  Still not sure what the hell happened.  My Service in 9 has about 15k through it and still shoots good.

If accuracy isn't up to par and you have tried different loads I'd look for a new barrel.

On 8/12/2018 at 6:01 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

How wide ?

Still "narrow" outdoors ?

Jack, outdoor means steel competition. So no way to know. Indoor was when I did our little match using 8 1/2” x 11” paper with difficult spaces. Sort of dot torture types. 

Since when the target sights in XD broke and main steel match died I installed Truglo; good but not as precise. 

I didn’t expect to get back into steel but here I am. 

I may look for a new barrel. 

Much obliged. Max. 

• 2 weeks later...