Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! How do you remove X-Treme base pads from the magazines?

Trinimon

Ok, silly question here. While loading up my 10rnd K40 mags I came across two that had binding issues with my ammo at 1.180" OAL. The follower would get hung up by the time I start seating the 8th round. I wanted to disassemble the mags to see if there was extra flashing around the followers and to clean it up if so. Well, I spent about 20mins trying to figure out how to remove the Xtreme base pads off the mags. Argh!

Sooo, how do ya remove 'em? There's no hole on the base to push the mag spring into the mag so you can slip the pad off. 

Thanks!

Remove the retention screw from the base pad.  Push the pad off toward the front of the mag...  the spring will deform enough as you push the base pad forward to allow you to remove the base from the mag body.  To put the base back on you just push the spring into the body while putting the base on from the front of the mag body.

Thanks a bunch. I'll give it another go.

I didn't know you weren't supposed to use the base pad retainer/plate (lack of a better word) from the factory mags when using extended base pads. I'll have to make up some kind of jig to push the spring down so that the plate sbd spring can clear the pad. 

You don’t push the spring up into the magazine.

Disengage whatever setscrew or pin locks the the basepad on, and simply slide it off. One of the “V”s in the magazine spring will find it’s way into the pinch point between the front of the mag tube and the basepad, and it will come off.

Just try to slide it off, and you’ll see what I mean. You won’t hurt the spring even though it seems like you’ll be trying to shear it in half.

You push the spring all the way up into the tube to slide the extension on, but that isn’t how they come off.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 8/13/2018 at 7:42 AM, Trinimon said:

Thanks a bunch. I'll give it another go.

I didn't know you weren't supposed to use the base pad retainer/plate (lack of a better word) from the factory mags when using extended base pads

?

You do not use the retainer from a normal capacity mag wirh the extension.

4 hours ago, johnbu said:

?

You do not use the retainer from a normal capacity mag wirh the extension.

lol, ya, found that out the hard way. I have to make a jig to push down the spring and retainer. ?