Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M.a.f.g. Runs 8 Minute Mile!

Sam

I stopped running about 25 years ago, after being a distance runner in high school. I started walking with a back-pack pretty regularly back in May, in preparation for the ITRC. So, three days ago, I decided to try and run my 2 mile walking route on my lunch break. I hoofed it in 19 minutes in my steel-toed work boots. I figured there must be some mistake. So yesterday, I went down to the local HS track in my running shoes and cranked off an 8:50 first mile and 2 in 18:20. Wow I thought, not too bad for a 46 year-old that weighs 200 lbs! :lol: (The slow kids in HS used to run in the high teens on the 2 mile.) Then I realized that I ran HS track at sea-level and I run at a mile high now.

Today, I ripped off the first mile in 8:12 and the second in 17:34. I know this is a pretty pedistrian pace, but after all these years, I'm kinda jazzed that I can even run that far at all! Yes, my legs are sore! And no, I'll probably never run 2 miles in the low 10's like I ustacould. :lol: But, I do want to be a runner again. I am a runner again!

Lookout 7:30 mile, an old fat guy is stalking you! :ph34r:

I want to happy for Sam, but this just means I'll be the rate limiting step at the ITRC again this year. Sam is not fat....I am! Even fresh out of Basic training I was lucky to do 2 miles in 15 minutes.

Thanks for the good wishes, every time I shoot with Sam the tounament should be labelled a Pro-Am. No doubt who the pro is. :D

Awesome job!!!

A lot better than some of the soldiers in my company. Keep up the great work. 7:30 for 5 miles is my personal goal. Got it down to 8:15.

You're doing great by just doing it.

SPC Richard A. White, Medic

249th Military Police Detachment (CF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

uscbigdawg,

you are at Camp Humphreys? I am in Yongsan. Are you on the global?

Break

Good job on the running. I am trying to get my Soldiers to run 4 miles in 36 minutes. You are doing well. Keep up the good work.

glock17w

Thank you everybody for the encouragement!

It's especially cool comming from you military guys! Words cannot express the admiration I have for all of you who are dedicated to defending our nation.

Today was day 5 of being a runner again and it's already getting a little bit easier. I'm eating a lite lunch at 10am break and then skipping lunch to run. I intend to make this my habit. Besides, the Adkins diet, while it works for me, has been making me very grumpy. It's more enjoyable to eat a moderate amount of bread and taters and then run the carbs off.

BTW, JD shoots rifles so much better than I do, that I feel I must contribute something to the team. So, I'll get in better shape and thus be able to carry more water and ammo.

I don't want you breathin hard man, carbine shooter has the easy job. ;)

Feels good, doesn't it? I got my butt back into the gym at the end of May, and could barely get through two minutes on the eliptical. I'm doing 30 minutes now with a better than 120 strides per minute average --- gunning to break 130......