Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Charge Line & Fault Line?

KKE888

Even though I can find different definition for Charge Line (item 2.2.1.1) and Fault Line (2.2.1.2) in the IPSC handbook, I don't really understand the exact meaning of them even after checking on a number of IPSC competition stages for the past few years. I've seen some matches used only fault line for all the stages, some matches adopted both but I can't match their usage with the definition as stated in the handbook. Would anyone help? Thanks. :huh:

The interpretation given to me is that a charge line is a safety line beyond which the shooter would be unsafe; i.e. shooting steel @ 8 yards (see 2.1.3). Fault lines are designed to provide a location where the course designer wants the shooter to shoot from; i.e. behind a table, through a port, around a barricade. Most often seen in USPSA classifiers. While most field courses are free style in how the course is to be shot, the designers may install fault lines to prevent running around some object & to eliminate close range blast damage.

Let's have some Range Master comments.

Greywolf, while not an official RM comment, I agree with your comments...

Fault lines keep a competitor behind something like a wall, table, barrel, or inside an area.

Charge lines keep a competitor from moving too far forward and engaging something too close (like steel).

The new rulebooks have blurred the use of charge lines and faultlines. :(

The best way to think of them is that a charge line is used to control shooter movements. IPSC rule book Current Edition states " 2.2.1.1 Charge lines are used to restrict unreasonable movement by competitors toward or away from targets" Many times we use rope or flag lines as charge lines, rather than 2x2's or 2x4's.

Fault lines are used to define shooting areas and obstacles. Faulting a line usually results in a penalty, depending on circumstance. :o

In a comment in the 7th edition USPSA rules,page 26 states "penalties are not generally applied for violating a charge line......"

Unfortuantely, many shooters look upon fault and charge lines as the same things. This causes much confusion and misunderstanding. The best way to think of a charge line is as a 3 foot wall rather than a 8' wall or barricade. It keeps you away from the targets or pens you in the free fire freestyle zone. However, you can still shoot over it if the targets are presented.

I hope this does not confuse you any more.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Jay

Thanks for the advice.

However, according to IPSC Handgun rule January 2004 version, item 10.2.1 and 10.2.3, both Procedural Penalties will be incurred for competitor who fires beyond a Fault or Charge Line.

Some examples for all to share:

- use fault line all the way through

http://www.ipsc.de/pdf/stages_stiopen_2004...iopen_2004'

- confusing about the use of fault line and charge line?

http://www.ipscbc.org/alberta_match.pdf#se...tch%20ipsc'

- some good example?

http://www.ipscnsw.org.au/Downloads/Nats03ver04.ppt

- how about this?

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/AMA/I...rov_Stages'

A new query:

As for Fault Lines, they are deemed to extend rearwards to infinity. The same sentence did not appear at the definition of Charge line so Charge Line should not take this assumption - can only stick with its physical lenght. Correct? :)

I can not find anything in the rules where you would be penalized for just crossing a charge line.

10.2.1 addresses firing a shot when the body is touching the ground across a fault or charge line.

In the old rule book it was a match DQ to shoot steel after faulting a charge line & being closer than 10 meters but I am unable to find any wording of that nature in the new rules.

Charge lines as used at my club are 2 by 2 sticks placed across openings so if you break 1 of our charge lines you will have to work at it. Of course I could give you a procedure penalty per 4.5.1 for doing so.