Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oko Durablity

Im trying to select an optic for my issue M16 for deployment. I can get an EOTech for $270 for the N cell and $298 for the AA. Ive used an EOTech b4 and i like it alot. Im just trying to save some money. I was wondering if an OKO w/ the steel cover would hold up to a combat situation? I can pick up the OKO and mount for just over $230. Or should i just spend the extra $70 for the EOTech?

I have no experience with either system - so grain of salt. How many OKOs have you heard of in deployment vs. EOTechs, etc. Does the OKO have NV settings? What about other choices, like an Aimpoint or something??

My only thoughts are to go with gear that's not going to fail you, that's battle proven, and really damn tough. Don't worry so much about the cash - your life is worth $70 :)

Although some out there will tell you the OKO is tough enough for a deployment scenario I would stick with the EO or an Aimpoint. There is just too much at risk to go with an unproven piece of equipment. Especially for $70 bones.

Good luck, Craig

Stingerjg,

Stick with the EOTech 552. You'll need the night vision compatibility with your other gear, and most of your other gear uses AA batteries, so finding them "in country" shouldn't be a problem. If you can afford it, I would look into some low powered optics. If current ROE are still applicable, you can engage anyone with a weapon. Most troops I know are now using optics for better target identification at longer distances. The 552 will serve you well, but unless you're on an assault element doing CQB, I would look into getting some good optics.

Erik

The OKO may be good enough game gear, but you aint going to the game. EOTech and aimpoint are proven stuff and less just is not a option. The fact that you life rides on this gear should answer your question, but its bigger than that, its the folks with you too, and you owe them no less than the best.------Larry

stingerjg,

First let me say good luck, and to thank you for what you are about to do. I did six years myself, and was deployed to the middle east in 91. But what we had to face over there was almost comedic compared to what you guys are dealing with now. And I just wanted to say I am damn proud of all of you that serve no matter the capacity (combat, or support).

As far as what sight to choose, your decision could truly be the difference on how you return to the states. So by all means I DO NOT care what sight you decide to go with, as long as you feel comfortable with it.

With all that said, personally I have full faith in the OKO, and would be more than happy to put you in touch with people who use the OKO in real world combat situations. But even if you go another direction than OKO, please don't go without some type of optic you feel secure with. And come home in one piece.

I will also be more than happy to give you whatever info I can about the OKO.