Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prima SV vs Prima V?

Dannybot

I tried ba9.5 for 40. it worked fine, but not any better than primaSV, and it's more expensive. I may still have a pound or 2.

honestly there are quite a few powders that will work fine for 9minor and 40 major. Just needs to burn fast and clean, meter well and be cheap so I can buy lots of it, set my press and forget about it for a year or so.

I have never been able to measure an accuracy difference between powders, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

4 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I tried ba9.5 for 40. it worked fine, but not any better than primaSV, and it's more expensive. I may still have a pound or 2.

honestly there are quite a few powders that will work fine for 9minor and 40 major. Just needs to burn fast and clean, meter well and be cheap so I can buy lots of it, set my press and forget about it for a year or so.

I have never been able to measure an accuracy difference between powders, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

What was your .40 load data for 9.5?

Just now, motosapiens said:

I'll have to double check when I get home, but I was loading 180grain coated bullets at 1.15 or so with around 4.5 grains.

Ok. 

So about the same as SV. 

Since SV is not available anymore, 9.5 isn't more expensive.  

Sport pistol may be the powder to go to since it's should be available.  These Nobel sport powders are good but annoying to get. 

On 10/18/2018 at 2:27 PM, B_RAD said:

Since SV is not available anymore, 9.5 isn't more expensive.  

Sport pistol may be the powder to go to since it's should be available.  These Nobel sport powders are good but annoying to get. 

lol @ math. Yeah, if you can't get it, it's more expensive than anything you can get.

I checked my notes and it was 4.9 grains of ba9.5 to make 172 pf. I couldn't really feel any difference in how the gun shot.

I wonder if they are just not importing any more nobel powders. First the prima v ran out a year or more ago, and now sv, (and still no sign of more prima v).

I would have tried sport pistol if Powder Valley had it in stock. But they didn't, so I went for E3 as my backup plan, which has a pretty good reputation. I really like red dot for 9 minor and 40 major, and n320 except for the price.