Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prima SV vs Prima V?

Dannybot

Since it looks like Prima V is all gone, at least for now, I am looking at SV for a replacement. For those who have loaded bith, hiw does Prima SV compare to Prima V?  

The threads I have read and load data I have seen indicate a fairly comparable starting load.  How does SV meter compared to V? How much case volume for SV vs V?

Thanks for any input.

SV is a faster burning powder. On average, you’ll use .2gr less than V to achieve the same results. Think of it as Clays (AUS) vs Tightgroup. It meters very well in a Dillon 550 and takes up about 1/2 a case per charge. 

Interested in this as well. I actually have both V and SV, although I have only loaded V in 9mm. The SV I have only used in 12 ga so far. From another thread on here, there are quite a few who load SV in .40 major, but not many reports in 9mm minor. Hoping to hear what others have to say.

• 1 month later...

I'd start with something lower, 3.8gr of Prima V with 124 FMJs makes power factor for me. Going to SV and the jump with plated bullets I'm guessing would be way more than necessary, if not unsafe.

Let me know how it goes though, interested in SV for 9mm 124s, it works great in .45 for making major, but wasn't sure if it was too fast for 9mm 124s.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2018 at 12:29 PM, corbinfouquet said:

I run 3.94ish measured on a gempro 250 over 180gr bbi at a 1.175 oal with a 170.5pf with the largest spread being 8fps. The recoil feels like a push rather than a snap

Is this data for Prima V or SV? I assumes it is a 40 major load. thanks.

Here's a pic of both, with a 9mm bullet to show scale/relative size.  Prima V is on the left, Prima SV on the right, with the specs of red in it. The particles are very similar is size/shape.   As mentioned by previous poster, both meter about the same (very good) using a dillon 650

IMG_0050.jpg.e3bc6643934d89565d1e1e7b45b045b1.jpg

Edited by muncie21

Bought a ton of Prima SV when Prima V was hard to come by. Actually prefer it since I can use it in 9mm and .40.

Here is my  9mm load data with Prima SV:

Dillon 550

Blue Bullet 147FP

OAL 1.14"

3.2gr (looked to be throwing +/- .06)

Average of 20 shots out of a CZ Accushadow

Ave: 905

SD: 7.3

PF: 133.035

Dillon 550

Blue Bullet 147FP

OAL 1.14"

3.06gr (looked to be throwing +/- .06)

Average of 20 shots out of a CZ Accushadow

Ave: 886.7

SD: 5.7

PF: 130.34

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2018 at 4:03 PM, Fantom919 said:

Bought a ton of Prima SV when Prima V was hard to come by. Actually prefer it since I can use it in 9mm and .40.

starting to look like prima sv may disappear as well. I bought the last 24lbs at powder valley, and no one else I could find has it in stock. Sad face. So I bought some e3 too for when I run out.

7 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

starting to look like prima sv may disappear as well. I bought the last 24lbs at powder valley, and no one else I could find has it in stock. Sad face. So I bought some e3 too for when I run out.

I've been very impressed with 9 1/2 for 9mm. I like it better than Prima V.  I think it's supposed to be good for .40 as well.

I've ran out of V and am almost out of SV. 

I wonder if 9 1/2 will dry up as well?  

Edited by B_RAD

I never tried SV for 9 minor. 

I never tried V for .40. 

I did try 9.5 and V for 9 minor. I've shot both with the same bullets, out of the same gun.  I can't compare recoil impulse since I tired them several months apart. I do feel 9.5 is more accurate. Though not by much since V was good too!  I think they're equally clean or close to it. 

Can't go wrong with either. Since V is not available, the choice is easy. 

I'll say that my Glock 34 didn't seem to like .355 124's with V but stacks them on top of each other with 9.5!  

From what I understand, 9.5 is their newest powder designed for hand gun calibers. 

I like it alot. 

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Thanks, my friend.

I was sold on switcing to Sport Pistol (welfare N320) when my PV ran out. Damn you.

:D 

Sport pistol is supposed to be good and to be honest is probably available at the local gum store if you ever need to pick up a bottle in an emergency.