Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Die Bell Question

Setting up my new 550 when I have the bell setting looking good and powder measure seems to work fine. I noticed the bottom end of the die is not quite to the bottom of the tool head. Not sure if this is ok or need to figure out how to get it lower in the tool head. :unsure:

Which die are you trying to get to the shellplate? The powder funnel?

The powder funnel (expansion die/powder measure) is set to bell the case mouth .010" larger than the sized brass, it doesn't go to the shell plate.

The sizing die is set up to touch the shell plate when the shell plate is at the top of the press.

The powder measure die does not have to go to the bottom of the tool head. If it had good thread engagement and bells the case enough and fully operates the measure (the little white plastic square on the right side must reach full travel to the end of the slot) you have enough.----Larry

Thanks for the relies: I was adjusting the powder die so the powder bar will have it full travel and the bell on the brass was about .015, the die is at the bottom of the tool head wasn't sure if I had messed up since it set so high in the tool head.

If it ok to set that high in the tool head I will raise it a little more for less bell. Althought the crimp die seems to remove the bell anyway.

:D

Ideally you should use only as much bell as is needed to get the bullet in, the more you bell the case the more you bend the metal with each loading and the case will have a shorter life. So IMO it's worth adjusting the belling to the absolute minimum required.

• 1 month later...
Ideally you should use only as much bell as is needed to get the bullet in, the more you bell the case the more you bend the metal with each loading and the case will have a shorter life.  So IMO it's worth adjusting the belling to the absolute minimum required.

That's true but....if you use less than .010 bell sooner rather than later you will get one of those misaligned bullets that collapse the side of the case, rip the snot out of the brass, powder all over the place, you have to readjust, you get pissed.

I can't say for sure but I think I've lost more brass trying to screw with less bell than I ever have using the right amount. I guess I lose them before I could tell anyway :lol: