Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bill Drill evaluation

crofrog

I shot some video with coaches eye and I posted it to a few friends hence the commentary on it. 

I was curious if anyone has any other things to point out, and some specific tips to avoid getting rocked back. I watched some video's of Vogel and TGO shooting bill drills, and noticed vogel got pushed back some but TGO didn't really move at all. 

2.27sec, all A's 7yd

Edited by crofrog
fixed video

Couple thoughts. At 7 yards on a full target the draw really needs to be under a second. First, your hands need to be moving way faster and both should start moving at the same time. Try to focus on slapping the strong side of your belly with your support hand as fast as possible at the start of the beep. If you focus on snapping the support hand as fast as possible...like whipping a wet towel....the strong hand will naturally move faster as well. The support hand will also be closer to the gun allowing you to get both hands on the gun at the earliest moment possible in the draw stroke. That alone will probably save you .15 or more. Also at 7 yards the shot really needs to be breaking at the moment you hit extension. You touched on this a bit. The way to achieve this is you need to be getting on the sights while you are extending the gun. This again as you said is another solid .20.

For being pushed back you said your center of gravity needs to be in front of your knees. You have the right idea, but what we are actually looking for is your center of gravity to be forward of the middle of your foot. Hinging your hip with a couple more degrees of flexion should do the trick here. You aren't being pushed a lot so a small change is likely to be all that's needed.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

Just a comment on your start position.  We see it with new shooters (and some old ones).  My problem is some ROs will allow them to start the stage similar to your start position.  It will tend to bite them in the butt when they go to their first Level 2 match.  Practice the way you will shoot the match.

8.2.2   The  competitor  assumes  the  start  position  as  specified  in  the  written stage  briefing.  Unless  other wise  specified,  the  competitor  must  stand erect, facing downrange, with arms and hands hanging naturally by the sides

(see  appendix  E3  for  an  example  of  this)

• 1 month later...

My two cents.  I think you can bend you elbows a little more to help absorb recoil.  This will do more than leaning forward.

Also, you are not resetting the trigger as the gun cycles.  You wait until the gun is back on target to start resetting the trigger.  Will help your splits as you'll be able to shoot quicker.  The majority of the time you can save here is on the draw as you already identified,.

Good luck!

As has been noted, you have a lot of wasted movement in your draw and presentation.  I won't get into the whole press-out vs. natural draw too much, but it's hard for you to argue that the shortest distance between two points isn't a straight line.  You have a hitching motion when getting your initial grip and your support hand is just floating around out there before mating with the grip around chest level.  Get the support hand on the gun early.  Listen to Jake.

As far as your stance and getting pushed back:  You have this hunched/turtled stance, particularly at the start.  The bend at your waist just looks awkward.  Stability comes from your legs.  Build a stable foundation.  Experiment with getting your feet wider, get the excess tension out of your shoulders, make your head/face upright and square to the target.  

As Jake noted, the goal is not to have the center of gravity out so much forward to combat recoil.  That actually tends to exacerbate instability problems.  Keep your weight centered slightly forward of the midfoot.  

• 2 weeks later...