Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO Mag Questions

longbeard

I've searched the forum, and not finding exactly what I am looking for.  I'm sure it's been answered before so I apologize if so.

I have some Mec-Gar 16 round mags from my production days.    The accu-shadow I got for CO came with two 19 round mags.  I am now looking for the correct base pads for the 140mm CO rule set using what I have. Is this even possible or do I need to start with the 17 round mags?  Also, do I need to change springs/followers when extending?

Most of your questions are answered in a thread from last month, but in general, most people are using the newer MecGar 17 round tubes, with any +4 basepad of your choice (TTI, Henning, Taylor, Springer, or CZC), which gets everyone 21 rounds. Adding in a new spring and shortened follower (get the kit from either Grams or CZC) will get you 23 rounds. There's one guy in the thread who says he gets 24 rounds with a specific combo. See below.

If you use your 16 round tubes, you'll just get one less round than the numbers posted above for 17 round tubes. Not sure what to tell you about the 19 rounders. I also thought all the Accushadows came with OEM CZ mags which are 18, not 19. If you do in fact have the 18 rounders, I haven't seen any mentions of what pads people have used to make 140mm. It would likely need to be the CZ factory +2 plastic basepad. I don't know of any aftermarket aluminum +3 pads for CZ, and all the +4/+5 pads would definitely wind up around 143-144mm.

Edited by ClangClang

1 hour ago, ClangClang said:

Most of your questions are answered in a thread from last month, but in general, most people are using the newer MecGar 17 round tubes, with any +4 basepad of your choice (TTI, Henning, Taylor, Springer, or CZC), which gets everyone 21 rounds. Adding in a new spring and shortened follower (get the kit from either Grams or CZC) will get you 23 rounds. There's one guy in the thread who says he gets 24 rounds with a specific combo. See below.

If you use your 16 round tubes, you'll just get one less round than the numbers posted above for 17 round tubes. Not sure what to tell you about the 19 rounders. I also thought all the Accushadows came with OEM CZ mags which are 18, not 19. If you do in fact have the 18 rounders, I haven't seen any mentions of what pads people have used to make 140mm. It would likely need to be the CZ factory +2 plastic basepad. I don't know of any aftermarket aluminum +3 pads for CZ, and all the +4/+5 pads would definitely wind up around 143-144mm.

Thanks!

They are the 18 round mags.  For some reason I thought they were 19.   TTI makes a +2 for the 18 rounders.  I am guessing with Grams guts you can get to 22+1 with them.  

I going to resist the inclination to buy all new tubes so I can get one extra round!  

The grams spring and follower alone get you to 20 rounds capacity with the stock CZ 18 rounders.

Henning has basepads listed for that model, but my purchase was on backorder for 4-5 months (from BSPS) before I ended up canceling it. Maybe call henning and see if they have them in stock again. 

Edited by DesertTortoise

42 minutes ago, longbeard said:

TT makes a pad for the 18 

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Taran-Tactical-Firepower-Base-Pad-for-CZ75-2-P4119.aspx

I'm not real serious about CO right now so I'm good ith not having all the gear.  I'm kind of thinking 2 extended mags and 1 16 rounder for barney/backup is adequate for casual play?

You probably want to have 4 total mags for matches.  One in the gun, 3 on the belt. You can get by with two on the belt, but you'll eventually find a large field course where you'll appreciate having the flexibility to do a third reload.  It doesn't need to be extended.  Two extendos is probably plenty for casual CO participation.

If you are going with two on the belt, I'd make them all extended length. It's not that you will run out of rounds, but Murphy's lawyers insist that as you are have a great run on a stage, you WILL drop a mag on a reload. It certainly is nice to have a second high cap mag still on the belt. The time lost stopping and picking up a dirty, sand and dirt filled mag will blow a stage wide open...

Now, how do I know this salient factoid?????????????

1 hour ago, mont1120 said:

If you are going with two on the belt, I'd make them all extended length. It's not that you will run out of rounds, but Murphy's lawyers insist that as you are have a great run on a stage, you WILL drop a mag on a reload. It certainly is nice to have a second high cap mag still on the belt. The time lost stopping and picking up a dirty, sand and dirt filled mag will blow a stage wide open...

Now, how do I know this salient factoid?????????????

We've all been there!

I ordered 2 extendos with grams guts.  I'll keep two 16s and an extendo on the belt.  If I get to taking it seriously I'll get another mag for sure.