Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Blue Bullets sized .355 vs. other coated at .356

ddc

4 hours ago, Lexor40cal said:

It would be interesting to find out if the coated bullet manufacturers just double dip their products to gain the additional 0.001"

Anyone here able to answer that?

They do not. 

The bullets are run through a sizing die and can be sized to whatever.  The companies who offer one size standard but are willing to do different sizes keep there standard offering stocked and ready to go, and you have to wait until the next run of that bullet to get your custom sizing. Gallant, which gives three standard sizing options, leaves theirs unsized, then sizes to order. 

That would make sense. Personally I use jacketed HP's, as running that as fast as I do plated or coated gets a little wobbly. 

But I like them for minor loads.

I picked up a cert for Gallant bullets at the WSSC, ordered a couple of thousand to try out. 

22 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

That is a great idea!

I keep a container of PB Blaster (a close cousin of kroil that works nearly as well) on my bench to soak my PCCs comp in overnight, muzzle placed in a jar. I use PB because it works like kroil, and is avaiable by the gallon from home depot.

You just saved me the “and then scrub out it the next day” part. I’ll give this a try.

I can’t take credit for that I read about it here and gave it a shot

It is thought that the heavier the bullet, the less perceived recoil is created. Heavier bullet, less power required to drive it. Some prefer the bullet to be lighter and driven faster/snappier. I personally believe it's more up to the individual.

147Gr and the new 135Gr 9mm (.0356") bullets are very popular, especially for minor loads in Production division

I personally use lighter bullets (124-125 Gr), as I can create more pressure to work a comp in my open gun. I use them in minor as well, because I prefer a snappy feel.